General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifting without the clutch

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005 | 04:36 AM
Default Shifting without the clutch

I read somewhere about something called speed shifting without using the clutch and just letting go of the throttle. Can anyone shed some light on this and also which CBR's are capable of doing this. I want to know if my 2002 F4i has this capability before i try shifting without the clutch.

Thanks,
TooL

Old 07-04-2005 | 09:50 AM
Default RE: Shifting without the clutch

Can`t believe you`ve never heard this before now, you can change UP without the clutch on any bike because of there sequential gear boxs. If you do it right theres absoloutley no harm done either. I do it all the time its actually a smoother change than using the clutch when you get the technique perfected. But DO NOT try and change down without the clutch you need a lot more racing equipment and skill for that.

Alls you do is:

Ride as normal using the clutch to get you going in 1st gear then when you would normally change gear, back of the throttle and slip it up a gear, as soon as you`ve changed its back on the throttle again. (we are talking seconds) and roberts your fathers brother. All the way up the box to 6th and 180ish, well on the thou.

If you`ve never tryed it before i recomend not doing it from 1st to 2nd until you get the hang of it, going threw neutral can catch you out on occasion. Practice at just past middle rev range until your confident to top the revs.

It works because as you back off the throttle theres some kind of enertia created which enabled you to easily slip it up a gear, I`ll let some other clever dude explain, i can`t find the words.

Old 07-04-2005 | 10:22 AM

Sweet dude. Yeah I'm a noob and also the country i'm in i don't know a lot of bikers so there's no where for me to get this info. A friend of mine can do i on his dirt bike but i wasn't sure if it applies to sports bikes as well. I'm still getting into the game. Thanks for the info tho, much appreciated.

Old 07-04-2005 | 10:26 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

Ya, upshifting is o.k. but NEVER downshift without the clutch. It's sometimes helpful to 'preload' the shifter slightly -- what I mean is just have a bit of pressure on the shifter so that when you drop the throttle it's a quick, positive shift.

Old 07-04-2005 | 10:36 AM

gotcha!!!

Old 07-06-2005 | 12:19 AM

I've heard not to down shift without the clutch, I've never seen any proof of why, I used to all time, especially at the track when your tired and trying to conserve energy, with no adverse affects.

Old 07-06-2005 | 04:09 AM

For some reason, changing gears without the clutch doesn't seem to work all the time. Sometimes it just does but mostly it just holds. Any idea why?

Old 07-06-2005 | 07:45 AM

you need to be accelerating at a reasonable rate, so that when you back off the throttle theres enough inertia to encourage the change when you ask it to, try accelerating a little harder mate, see if you find that any easier. I normally only do it when i`m givin it some beans it won`t work if your pottering round or in traffic for example.

Old 07-06-2005 | 08:26 AM

cool, i thought as much, will give it a go later. thanks

Old 07-06-2005 | 09:21 PM

I'm going to try it tomorrow...thanks!

Quick Reply: Shifting without the clutch