General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shaving a seat?!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 08:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shaving a seat?!!!

I'm 5'9" and can't touch flat footed on the ground and i keep seeing people talking about shaving the seat and i was wondering if anyone could explain that to me because im not completely sure exactly what that means and if it is easy id like to see if it could help me out, or if anyone has a better idea it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-14-2006, 09:51 PM
Default RE: Shaving a seat?!!!

You know i thought it was just me LOL im 6' and tippy toe it (enough to feel comforable with it) , plus i weigh like 220 lbs so my suspension is at its highest... for my hieght / weight... Anyway if your comforstable with it i wouldnt bother shaving it... just my opinion...

Old 04-14-2006, 10:44 PM

I weigh like 215 and im missing the ground just enough to annoy me lol! i can live with it i just dont want to lol, but if its going to be a hassle doing something to fix it then i wont bother so i guess unless someone tells me its no big deal to do something to fix it then ill just let it be.

Old 04-15-2006, 06:06 AM

Just read the manual and set up your suspension. The bike can be made lower in the read by softening it up. I dont know what to do about the front, I never messed with it cause it worked great for me from the dealership.

Old 04-15-2006, 06:24 AM

shaving the seats seems like a hassle and do you want to do that? You know they sell lowering links. it can drop your seat heigth about an inch or so. thinking about getting some for my bike.

Old 04-15-2006, 10:20 AM

I have heard that messing with the suspension and/or using lowering links can screw with your handling. Is that true? If its going to do that then its not worth it. ill just leave it like it is.

Old 04-17-2006, 02:11 AM

Ok i was checking out my seat today while i was washing the bike and came up with this theory...

Now iv seen on discovery channel where they mold/shape foam...

Tools...
Key lol j/m (unlocking the seat if you missed the joke)
Sharp knife/razor and some Large grain (??) sand paper (i mean the thiker sand)
Black sharpy (permanent Marker)
Staple remover
Staple gun

Step:1 Remove seat
Step:2 Remove all staples
Step:3 Peel cover off
Step:4 At this point you should see some foam
Step:5 Draw some parallel lines on the sides about a half inch deep from the top on both sides (a half inch should get your heels about an inch off the ground)
Step:6 At this point you can start shaving off the foam
Step:7 Start sanding and even it all out
Step:8 Start stapling your cover back on your seat

Like i said this is only a thought/theory... Please be very careful how much you shave off that seat it may make your ride less comforable in the end... Anyway hope the step by step doesnt make me look like an a$$hole just wanted to explain it as simple as possible...

Good luck and have fun... BTW take some pics so we can all see, Another idea would be to buy some new material to put over the seat and staple that in instead like color matching or a cool desing or something might look cool...

Old 04-17-2006, 11:32 AM

i was watching some car shows and the upholstery part they showed they guys used electric knives to shape the foam. just like the ones you use to cut your thanksgiving turkey.

Old 04-17-2006, 04:53 PM

Yeah i think i saw something like that too and i was thinking about it im just kind of nervous cuz i dont want to screw anything up ya know? The other day i had a friend who fell through one of those aluminum fold up chairs and the foam from the chair came out of it and i started thinking that maybe i could use that inside my seat just take off the cover and then fit the chair foam in. its alot thinner and softer....i dont know though..what do you guys think?

Old 04-17-2006, 08:33 PM

Oh, by the way don't forget to use an adhesive spray to bond the leather and foam together. So, if you screw up you can always buy a used seat.

Beats paying someone 100+ bucks to try to do it when you can do it on your own for under 30? (BTW, they reuse your leather cover)

Quick Reply: Shaving a seat?!!!