General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road surfaces

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 01:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road surfaces

So my brother and I got into an argument on the slip factor of certain road surfaces. The scenario: During the winter season the roads (at least in MI) are covered in salt, after its dissolved into the microscopic crystals that cover the road in a white powder you still have more traction then when the roads are completely wet from rain. Anyone else agree that you still have more traction with the broken down salt versus a wet surface?

Old 11-23-2008, 02:26 PM
Default RE: Road surfaces

Interesting question. I live in Michigan as well. I think I agree with your brother on this one. Not only does the surface below your tires move, it is also very cold. I think the grip is a ton less with residue on it and the combination of a cold surface. I guess it all depends on just how much residue is there and the temp of the surface.

In the rain, I have no problem getting the front tire in the air, on cold roads or ones with residue on them, the rear tire spins out really fast. now really cold rain with temps around freezing, that may be another story.

I think a lot will have to do with tire selection, but for the most part, I think the rain offers more grip that winter conditions.

but just my opinion.. Im sure others will disagree.

Old 11-23-2008, 02:41 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

Actually i agree with squid. I have no problem clutching up wheelies in the rain, and feel fairly comfortable turning. Cold roads and salt are much slippier. Now if the sun is out and road is warm that may be different, however in WI its never warm with road salt, so i will have to go with rain.

Old 11-23-2008, 04:29 PM

That's interesting because i get nervous in the rain but even right now with Michigan roads i feel more comfortable. There isn't chunks of salt on the road, its been dissolved but the roads are still kinda white.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:02 PM

well from personal experience...each and everytime i tried to get the front wheel up on both my bike and the other i was riding on a even damp road...no go...but on cold roads with residue i seemed to have a little moreluck...i gave up on both anyway