General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BIG trouble!?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 11:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BIG trouble!?

Here's the story. I just bought my bike(95 F3 CBR600)and everything was fine besides it needing a new stator. I rode the bike for 30 minutes or so before I took it apart to replace it and it sounded/rode very well! I took it apart nearly 2 weeks ago and I finally got my stator today. When I got it all put back together it started right up but makes a very weird/bad sounding noise!!!! It sounds like a metal to metal kind of noise and it only happens if you give it gas then let off. Its like a chatter, soundslike something might be loose.It does'nt do it at an idle or at higher rpm's, just around 1.5-2k. It also sounds like it is coming from the front, right by the header.
I know this prolly is'nt specific enough but thats the best I can describe it. If anybody can help in ANY way, please do!! And PLAESE DO NOT say my motor is shoot if you are'nt 100% sure!

Old 11-20-2008, 07:27 AM
Default RE: BIG trouble!?

the only thing that is by in the front by the header would be the chain tensioner. they are known the make noise when they start to fail, but usually not so much as you are describing, unless its really really bad. But since it was fine before you tore the bike apart, it has to be something you did while you changed the stator.

If it has only done this since you changed the stator, I would have to lean towards it being something you took apart. Its amazing how noise can travel internally and make it sound as if its coming from somewhere else. It could easily be your stator and make the sound higher up in the engine by the header.

i would pull the stator cover off and inspect. Check everything for clearance issues. Check for wear marks everywhere you can see. Something might just not be seated correctly. those magnets are strong and the possibility that something became misaligned while you put it back together are fairly high.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:04 AM

ORIGINAL: CBRclassic

Josh...it definitely was not making this noise before you took her apart to replace the stator?
If not ...it has to be the alignment of the stator is not quite right perhaps?

When you say the right hand side header ? do you mean looking from the front back or from sitting on the bike ?

It was not making any kind of niose before. My buddy was sitting on the bike and I was walking around listening, but as justasquid said, the sound could travel and make you think its coming from somewhere else. Im going to take it all apart again today and find out. Does the wire on the stator go under the stator or does it stay on top when you bolt it to the cover?

Thanks a lot for your responses, does'nt make me feel so bad now. LOL

Old 11-20-2008, 12:20 PM

ok...i'll give you two not so bad. First i need you to answer this though...does it sound like this? http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...FunnyNoise.flv thats the noise of a cam chain tensioner not being so happy(i was low on oil lol). if it doesn't sound like that...do you happen to have a aftermarket exhaust on your bike? my V&H headers would rattle from like 1.5k to 3k and it was so annoying...you could make it stop by pushing the rear peg towards the left with your foot....or by applying enough downward pressure on the mid-pipe. if one of those happens to be your problem...you have it made in the shade...CCT is remedied with a manual one from APE and if it's the headers it's remedied by resealing the loose one with high temp red silicone...also..you can see which header pipe it is with the bike off...exhaust cooled down...and a lil tug on each of the header pipes(if that is indeed your problem). let us know whats up

Old 11-20-2008, 10:46 PM

Im about to listen to your video clip(never mind, my computer is gay and wont load it). I do have an aftermarket exhaust. But today I took it all back apart and put it back together. I cranked it up and it sounded fine! Then I finally got to ride it for the first time since I stretched it. I got about 20ft down the road and it started doing it again!! I was so pissed off, I just parked the bike and left. LOL! Im not sure what to do now. Its obviously not a bad motor cuz it would make the noise all the time and not just when ever.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:16 AM

thats how it'll be with both problems i mentioned except the header vibration doesn't go away until fixed...it's constant...the CCT on the other hand is prone to go away on a nice warm up ride...but if you hit the highway and top the bike out for a mile or so it'll come right back(don't ask how i know this). If you can watch that video and tell me if the sound is similar that would help us help you

Old 11-21-2008, 12:56 PM

Thats exactly what it sounds like!! Only mine does it do it at an idle all the time. So if I warm it up it will go away??

Old 11-21-2008, 02:01 PM
Siggy Maker & All Round Good Guy

If i were you i wouldnt start the bike up or rev it at any high idle until i re-pulled the stater and made sure it is installed precisely correct.

If there is a problem there something inside could be getting seriously thrashed.

Old 11-21-2008, 02:08 PM

I have pulled the stator out twice and put it back in, I made sure everything was right both times. Im wondering if I need to put some more oil in it??

Quick Reply: BIG trouble!?