General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rim LED's

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009 | 10:15 AM
|

Cheers, I got high-vis tape sorted.

Just finished installing the LED's at the rear of the bike. Its safe to say im going to need more. The camera doesnt pickup red very well but its fairly bright and lights up the exhaust well. Still, its not bright enough imo.

Yes that is reflective tape on my fairings and I know my bike needs a wash.

Old 10-23-2009 | 10:51 AM

Those tire fly lights that go on your valves are illegal here for 2 reasons ..
1. a distraction to other riders ( We are not aloud any led's/neons except tail lights and indicaters UNLESS they are hidden away so that you cant actually see the bulb only the glow)
2. When the wheel is spining the led pushes outward (Obviously) and once you reach speeds above 30mph starts to cause your tire valve to colapse in on itself or split.

Some guy died in my town 4 years ago because he had them on and the valve split on his front wheel at 120mph causing the tire to blow out.

Another novelty item i've seen that might acheieve that affect is something my mate had on his bandit, the leds arent electric as in battery powerd but actually have a little fan on them that creates the power for them and the faster you go the faster the fan spins causing a brighter light, they were tiny things not to much bigger than 2 dices.

Old 10-24-2009 | 10:33 AM
|

Yep it would appear those valve mounted LED caps are leathal.

I had a browse for the fan powered LED's but all I got were PC cooling fans lol. Ive an idea though for lighting up the rims.

While I was trawling through over-priced Halfords I spotted these 10cm LED strips that are waterproof and have a sticky side to them which will fit perfectly in the gap in the alloy rims. Ive included a picture of the gap.

I intend to buy four of these and power them off hearing-aid batteries which should keep the weight down. 2 on each rim at opposite ends is the plan.

Mind you I was forwarded to a site that apparantly has some v-high output LED's so I might go down the reflective tape route.

I also intend to illuminate the front visor as its nice and clouldy so it should glow nicely when lit up.

hmmmm choices choices.

Old 10-24-2009 | 12:40 PM

You mean theese things that im using for my indicaters??

Old 10-24-2009 | 06:16 PM
June 2010 ROTM
Default leds in the wheels

you can mount strips or pods in the front fender and on the swingarm inside the rear wheel. i used hyper white and if your rims are chrome they are even brighter

Name:  nightlightposter.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  74.2 KB

Name:  highresdetail7.jpg
Size:  48.7 KB

Name:  highresdetail2.jpg
Size:  46.6 KB

Name:  ledsinwheels.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  49.7 KB

Old 10-25-2009 | 05:34 PM
|

Spot on Streetfighter88, thats them. How are they? I might try the same on my bike but keep the originals aswel.

Why didnt I think of installing led's under the front fender!?

Old 10-26-2009 | 01:13 AM

I luv having them as my indicaters, i put them on as they were only £9.99 as a tempory thing until i got payed but ended up keeping them as they work well and people dont even notice them until i point them out, the one worry i had wen fitting them is that there bright and i thaught they might blind people following me but all my mates in both cars and bikes have said there no problem at all.

If your going all out on your L.E.Ds what about doing your sprocket cover, i started mine last night but it still needs some cleaning up.

Old 10-26-2009 | 01:06 PM
|

That looks good, can it be seen while youre riding?

Clocks went back a hour and its the first time ive driven through city traffic in the dark. Talk about a sea of red light!

Ill post pics when I get the rest done.