General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding in cooler temperatures.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 09:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding in cooler temperatures.

Today the temperature was about 40 degrees by mid-day. I replaced my rear tire a Dunlop 208 zr yesterday and I took my bike out for a ride. As soon as I took off, I began to fishtail from the rear and I held it in control. Because it was a close one. I made up my mind to returned home. My question is this normal on a new tire when it is cooler out. I don't know if I'll be taking a chance of dumping it. Just want to play it SAFE.

Old 11-18-2005, 09:19 PM
Default RE: Riding in cooler temperatures.

Yeah, its normal. The tire has to warm up in colder weather.

Old 11-18-2005, 09:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brand new tires have a anti-dry rot chemical on them. I'm not sure how to spell it but I remember we used to call it Cozmaleen, when I sold bikes back in the late 80's.

I remember selling a new 87 CBR600 Hurricane to a kid and when he turned left out of the dealership lot onto the street he low sided because the rear tire lost grip. His mom came in the next day and threatened the dealership with a law suit if they would not take the bike back. Her argument was that we should not have knowingly sold her son a motorcycle with the chemical on the tires.

End result- We gave back his money and I got yelled at by the sales manager for telling him to be careful and why.

Old 11-18-2005, 10:56 PM

Thanks.

Old 11-18-2005, 10:57 PM

So, can I remove it before riding and with what?

Old 11-19-2005, 01:10 AM

ive heard you can take some sand paper and rough up your tires .. true or no j/c?

Old 11-19-2005, 01:30 AM
L8X

i would just take it easy on new tires. ride straight and slowly for a few miles.

Old 11-19-2005, 07:45 AM

New tyres have a coating like has been said, the coating is also part made up by a release compound to get the tyres out of there mold. Take it easy and be smooth with the controls for the first 100miles, and not just in a straight line or the first time you try and corner abit faster you`ll be off on your ****.

Old 11-19-2005, 08:59 AM

I agree with what everybody above posted. Any new tire will have the preservative on the tire. I've never heard of anyone using sandpaper to scuff the tire; basically you have to "bake" the preservative out of the tire by riding on it. Yes, you do have to be cautious but you don't have to be perpendicular all the time either. Just don't try any knee dragging attempts for the first 100 miles and be smooth with the throttle. Additionally, when the temps are 50 degrees F or lower, your tires will take longer to get up to operating temps. With that said, even if your tires are warmed up, if the asphalt/concrete surface is cold, the tires will not grip like they should either. (Don't ask me how I know)

Old 11-19-2005, 09:51 AM
Retired Administrator

you know... we have a few vidoes showing what happens when you don't take it easy leaving the dealership....

Quick Reply: Riding in cooler temperatures.