General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding on a bad CCT

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 04:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding on a bad CCT

I recently got a 2001 F4i, and I need to replace the cam chain tensioner. I took it to Honda, and the tech said that it was definately the CCT but he said it didn't sound that bad yet. He said that it's in the beginning stages of going, but I might as well get it replaced. So i ordered a new one and im waiting for it to come in. My question to all of you is, can I still ride with the CCT going? I get the infamous rattle at 5k rpm's but since I went to honda, i am really nervous to ride, cause I dont need to do any real damage to the engine. The bike is running fine now but i dont need to screw it up. Can anyone give me some advice or words of wisdom. I really appreciate it!

Old 03-24-2008, 05:33 PM
Default RE: Riding on a bad CCT

well my best friend rode on one that rattled for a long time...but if you have any problems with it...you can finally put those new cams that you have been thinking about...

you should be ok...my friend would bounce off the rev limiter with the CCT problem

Old 03-24-2008, 05:47 PM

LOL.....thats why im nervous. I dont want new cams and haven't been thinking about them, the ones I have are just fine.

Anyone else have anything that could make me feel better about taking the bike out tomorrow?

Old 03-24-2008, 05:52 PM

you should be fine...

about the cams...i agree...one day i want to throw some stuff at it and see what happens but it runs great as is...just throw a D&D on it and rock on...

Old 03-24-2008, 07:56 PM

Serch. This topic has been discussed over and over. I rode on mine for a while with no problems. SEARCH!

Old 03-24-2008, 08:03 PM

dude , i rode my f4 for two seasons with a bad tensioner when i realized it only takes 5 minutes to replace i went ahead and put it in but the whole time iy was bad i was clutch dumpin wheelies and hammerin the hell out of it and i never had any problem with it and i traded it in shortly after with 15 k on it and they sold it twelve hours later with no complaints so you should be alright i promise

Old 03-24-2008, 08:08 PM

Thank you for the positive words of advice.......all i have done is search,tons and tons of posts,but the majority of things I find are about the noise, how to replace, and what to replace with. I cant find anything specifically talking aboutthe hazards and probability of those hazards happening whaen riding with abad CCT.I have been riding dirtbikes for a long time and dont know much about street. This is my first bike, and I would just like some reassurance that im not going to destroy my first bike by riding it until the new part comes in. Arent these forums all about sharing thoughts, ideas and solutions with other people? dont reply if your going to make stupid comments about an issue that is of real concern to me, im just asking for some advice.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:13 PM

Mcwheelie, i appreciate the post....it definately makes me feel better about taking the bike out. Did you go with the OEM or the manual CCT.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:21 PM

no sweat kid and dont take that the wrong way either im not sayin you dont have to replace it i would its easy as hell ya pull your tank look down on the right side of the block and there sits that little tensioner two bolts allen keys hold it on the center bolt is simply to keep oil in and remember the new one will have a little key in it where the center bolt is on the old one DO NOT PULL THAT LITTLE KEY OUT UNTIL YOU HAVE INSTALLED THE NEW TENSIONER TRUST ME I LEARNED TH HARD WAY!!!!!! Once you remove the tensioner do not for any reason attempt to move the bike for any reason my buddy did this and it was enough movement to cause the cams tu jump a tooth so guess who got stuck tearin down his engine that weekend ?? uh yeah that was me and no his cheap *** didnt even buy me lunch no screwin around once the old one is out get the new one in and tightened down then pull out that little key and put in the old center bolt to seal for oil leaks k good luck ride safe and let me know how it turns out cool!

Old 03-24-2008, 08:25 PM

oh sorry i went with the oem tensioner but cant say how long it lasted cuz i traded it in like a month later for a new 600 rr i di see it the other day rollin down the street so i guess it still runs good i never messd with the manual tensioners cuz i figured honda spent enough development money on their tensioner why shoul i chance leavin it too tight or too loose

Quick Reply: Riding on a bad CCT