General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replacing cylinder head cover gasket - urgent

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 06:57 AM
Avi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing cylinder head cover gasket - urgent

Hi all!
well, for a long time I am having a mild leak from the cylinder head cover gasket.
Ironically it is above the most left exhaust header, and I suspect it only actually leaks when the bike is on its side stand. So after the oil got to the header and the bike smoked, I figured I'd replace it.
it isn't a simple task, but I got everything off.

The question is where should I apply sealant ?
the manual says only the semi-circular areas. are these the 2 half circles on the left, or the elliptical holes for the plugs ?
I shouldn't apply sealant nowhere else (there are sealant leftovers on the cover..)?

The bike is standing open up waiting for this...

Thank you very much!

Avi

Old 04-09-2011, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

The gasket does most of the work of sealing the cover. The places where it wants you to put a small amount of sealant is where the cover makes a right angle turn. That's where its most likely to leak. Just put a small dab like they recommend and you'll be fine. Just take your time and make sure you've got the gasket seated correctly all the way around. Use a small mirror if you have to.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:20 PM
Avi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IDoDirt
The gasket does most of the work of sealing the cover. The places where it wants you to put a small amount of sealant is where the cover makes a right angle turn. That's where its most likely to leak. Just put a small dab like they recommend and you'll be fine. Just take your time and make sure you've got the gasket seated correctly all the way around. Use a small mirror if you have to.
Thanks IDoDirt!

I ended up on my back to line up everything, and with a tiny screwdriver pushing the gasket into the head cover after they are all in place

if anyone reads this before he has to do this, first have the gasket sitted on the head cover on the pins and inside the rail, and only after that place the sealant on the head and after that the cover with the gasket. not like I did...