General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced Brake fluid

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 03:09 PM
Track junkie & modaholic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced Brake fluid

My front brakes were working flawlessly but it was time to replace the fluid as it was murky and starting to change colors (my only gripe with the ate super blue) I replaced all fluid, bled the brakes and topped off the MC. Now the rear brake is even better however the front calipers have a pretty tight grip on the rotors to the point that the front wheel wont spin. I can move it but once I let go it stops. What would cause this? My calipers should be pretty clean I haven't ridden the bike in too long. So I'm a bit stuck,

Old 09-09-2013, 04:07 PM
Welcome Crew
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pistons may be a lil dry from lack of use. You sure your brake lever isn't pushing the mc piston? Just a lil pressure will keep the pistons from retracting. Only other thing I can think of with my heat fried brain today, is is it one caliper or both holding it? Could be a bad line...

Old 09-09-2013, 04:26 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

That's what confuses me though, is it was working fine before I replaced the fluid.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:06 PM
Welcome Crew
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

True, but I know I have changed fluid due to color/moisture and experienced similar issues cause I lodged something in the main line, so it wouldn't release pressure.had to reflush my lines.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:12 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

Damn now I gotta buy more brake fluid.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:09 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CJardine
Damn now I gotta buy more brake fluid.
Are you using some quality DOT4 fluid or cheap stuff from Autozone?

Old 09-09-2013, 07:33 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

ATE super blue... will be switching to motul 600 since I can source if I cannot find super blue locally. Apparently its illegal for sale now?? Man a lot has changed since I have been gone... hopefully I can keep my routine of super blue to gold 200 and back through ebay.

Last edited by CJardine; 09-09-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:45 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CJardine
ATE super blue... will be switching to motul 600 since I can source if I cannot find super blue locally. Apparently its illegal for sale now?? Man a lot has changed since I have been gone...
Blue brake fluid? That's pretty cool. I always thought brake fluid was supposed to be black.
The black stuff seems to work just as good in my bike, though.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:16 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

Yea the concept was that they offer the same type of brake fluid with two options, one with blue dye the other with gold. It was to help with flushing the old fluid out so when the blue fluid would start to come out you knew that all of the old gold fluid was flushed, and vice verse. It also aided race organizations ensure that fresh brake fluid was in the bike /car. It is now illegal to have blue brake fluid though (or I should say they finally noticed) in America; something about fluid mixup based on what type of fluid your vehicle takes. It sucks cuz now its like $20 a Liter as apposed to the $12 and I sure as heck can't ride hard enough to justify motul 660. At least not yet.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:57 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

I can still get ate blue. I will check in the morning and let you know what my cost is.
I'm going to pick me up another can anyway. I'm getting low....

Quick Reply: Replaced Brake fluid