General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Repairing/ renewing old carbon fiber exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 06:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repairing/ renewing old carbon fiber exhaust

It was time for my exhaust to be repacked and having the exhaust disassembled, i decided ill see if i cant repair the hole that in the bottom and maybe try to get it shinny again.

I have searched for posts that could help me but haven't found any...

I have gotten some epoxy resin for the hole but can anybody tell med how i can get the can back to its former glory?? Is it enough to just give it a couple of layers of clear coat? and do i need heat resistant clear coat or is regular good enough?
Do anyone have experience with a similar project ???

The worn CF.

"Shinny" CF

damage

Old 12-05-2012, 10:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unfortunately, you can't "repair" CF like you would with fiberglass so you might not be able to do much with that crack. As far as bringing back the shine, I was researching it last year and supposedly it is possible. I wasn't able to find anyone who actually went through with all the leg work, but it involves sanding all the current clear off down to the fiber with progressively fine sand paper and then re-clearing it. You're going to need heat resistant everything since it has to do with the exhaust. TBH, I do remember people who just did a light sand job and re-cleared CF and it came out looking terrible.

That CF doesn't look like any of the big brand CF I've seen, but Yoshimura and Akrapovic both offer "resleeve" kits which come with almost everything you need to refresh your exhaust. There are 3rd party exhaust manufacturers who might be able to help you if you can figure out the inner dimensions of the oval at the end caps (don't measure the CF sleeves because they flex when they're fitted onto the end caps).

What I'll be buying to rebuild my exploded Akras on my RC51:
Akrapovic Canister 470mm Repair Kit - Carbon Fiber

Some vendors you might want to contact:
PJ Engineering - Home Page - Manufacturers & suppliers of High Temp. Carbon Fibre, Stainless & Titanium Tubes and Performance Motorcycle Exhaust parts in Lincolnshire, UK

Or Mark from Harris, who supposedly has random exhaust parts:
Mark@harris-performance.com

Hope it helps. If you do go ahead with trying to re-clear it, post up your results!

Old 12-06-2012, 02:10 AM
Party Animal, ROTM June 2014

I have successfully recleared a carbon fibre hugger for my Ducati. You are correct, you need to get ALL the old clear off of the carbon fibre before reclearing.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:31 AM

Thanks for the answers.... Raylee thanks for the links.. think PJ E. will be my backup plan

seems i have a lot of work to do.... luckily winter last til end of April.... :-/