General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Stator Cover Questions??

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 10:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Stator Cover Questions??

OK I have decided that I'm either going to replace my stator cover or paint it before spring. All that I need to know is if there are any surprises when I take it off and will any oil leak out when I remove it? I'm pretty sure that oil will leak when I take it off but thats not a big deal because I have to change it before spring anyways. If I paint it I'm going to do a high temp matte black. And if I replace it I'll leave it alone. I could sand it down and paint it for about $7 or buy the cover for $60. Oh and one more, do I have to replace the gasket? Let me know what you think I should do. Thanks in advance

-Jesse-

Old 02-20-2006, 01:27 PM
Default RE: Removing Stator Cover Questions??

STATOR REMOVAL
Remove the alternator wire grommet from the alternator cover. Remove the bolt and stator wire clamp. Remove the socket bolts and stator.

Install the stator into the alternator cover. Apply sealant to the wire grommet you dont want any water getting in there! then install the
wire grommet into the alternator groove securely. Install and tighten the stator mounting socket bolts to the specified torque. TORQUE: 12 N-m (1.2 kgf-m, 9 Ibf-ft) Install the wire clamp and tighten the bolt to the specified torque. TORQUE: 12 N-m (1.2 kgf-m, 9 Ibf-ft)

I painted my stator on my old F4i black and man it looked sharp. Personally I would paint it. I used a fine file instead of sand paper and you couldnt even notice it was scratched and like you said it was cheap. I might have a picture actually.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2464/C3FA573357744E8A8058844E42B821DE.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/2464/C8E9595DEE544222BDBD087D637B1B0E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/2464/8EAD07CD9C384264B11C07CEAD809EB3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-20-2006, 01:34 PM

Here's the picture of my last bike with the stator painted black, Sharp looking eh? I also had it lowered 3 inches for my wife to ride, thats why I had to paint the stator. She dropped it in the drive way forgetting to put down the kick stand!!!!!!
So yeah, I would paint it for sure!

[IMG]local://upfiles/2464/067C510F3FD54E3BBCBB2938E4328FEE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-20-2006, 04:44 PM

Just be carful of the reduction gear and the dowl pin that holds it in. When you take the stator cover off its probably going to come off with the stator cover. And its really tricky trying to get that thing back in. Just make sure you put some oil on both the dowl pin and reduction gear when you put it all back together. Other than that its really easy. I just replaced mine check out my gallery and you can see the before and after. Mine was also painted black before the accident. Im sure I will repaint it black again someday. It looked really good. Let me know if you have any other questions!!!

Old 02-20-2006, 09:49 PM

Thanks, I appreciate the help. But do I have to drain the oil first or don't I have to worry about it. I deffinately think its going to look better black. The silver and black f4i looks really good. I can't wait to get my arrows, those are the best looking short stalk signal IMO. I'll keep you guys updated on what I do, but I'm deffiantely going to paint it.

-Jesse-

Old 02-20-2006, 10:17 PM

No technically you dont have to drain the oil first however it would be easier to go ahead and change the oil and filter all in one shot. I drained mine first and only about a teaspoon of oil came out when I took the cover off. Just make sure you oil up everything and put a new gasket on.

Old 02-20-2006, 11:04 PM

Someone correct me if I am wrong but there should be no oil under the Stator cover! The cover on the left side of the bike (Stator Cover)is electrical (Alternator) and should be dry. Now the cover on the right side of the bike is where you should see oil.

Old 02-20-2006, 11:17 PM

ORIGINAL: arkas

Someone correct me if I am wrong but there should be no oil under the Stator cover! The cover on the left side of the bike (Stator Cover)is electrical (Alternator) and should be dry. Now the cover on the right side of the bike is where you should see oil.
I was wondering because I have seen poeple crash and crack the stator cover anmd oil leaks out. I may just leave it on the bike to do it but I'll have to see how hard its going to be. I just don't want it to look like crap so I'll probably end up taking it off. It can't be that hard to do, I have plenty of time in wrenching on cars and I need to get some time in on bikes.

-Jesse-

Old 02-21-2006, 12:58 AM

yes i just replaced my stator and oil will come out.. if you lean your bike over the opposite way then nothing will leak out.. also you might need a screw driver or small pry bar to get it off, the stator is one hell of a magnet..

Old 02-21-2006, 03:50 AM

Hey Turnin20s now that you mention it, my buddy high-sided his 636 last summer and broke the stator cover and it too leaked oil???? Seems strange that oil would leak from somewhere where electricty is generated.......Now I am wondering why?

Quick Reply: Removing Stator Cover Questions??