General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

removing paint from wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 02:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removing paint from wheels

Hi Guys,
I want to remove all the paint from my wheels. So just would like to know the best way to go about this. As you can see from this link https://cbrforum.com/m_694778/tm.htm
that someone has painted the outer portion black over the stock red.

What I would like to do is have them with no paint at all and maybe just throw on some clear coat.

Is sanding them about the only way to do this?

Thanks for the help!

Old 11-21-2008, 02:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: removing paint from wheels

The easiest way would be too have them bead blasted. Glass beads and walnut shells work GREAT without damaging the metal in the wheel.

Old 11-21-2008, 02:36 PM

Well, it may just be some old rattle can sray paint. If thats the case, then all you would need to do is get yourself a small amount of mineral spirits/paint reducer to test it. Get a shop rag saturated and hold it against one of the colors for a short bit. If the paint starts to wipe off then your on the right path. If not, then its time for something diffrent.

I myself will be stripping the stock powder coat off my F3 rims soon and I was told that MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) or aircraft paint remover were the only way to go.

Ill be playing with that over the winter so Im sure one of us will find out soon

Old 11-22-2008, 12:35 AM

I think I will see if any place here in town can bead blast em.

Old 11-22-2008, 01:25 AM

I have polished all of my motorcycles wheels. All I did was get some aircraft cleaner stuff(autozone-$8) follow the instrutions on the can(DONT GET IT ON YOUR HANDS!!! It will burn like a *****). Then I take 1k grit wet sand paper, then go to 2k sand paper then 2500 and end with some Mothers Aluminum polish. Try that first before you pay somebody 200 bux to blast your wheels.

Old 11-22-2008, 04:07 PM
Siggy Maker & All Round Good Guy

When i was working as a sandblaster and i would get a multi lvl'd powder coated part in my boss directed me to this stuff called JASCO. It is hardcorp paint remover. (and yeah, it also removes skin).

You can get it in most serious paint shops.

There is a spray kind which is the weaker type

and there is the good stuff which is like a jelly paste that comes in a jug

It also comes in gallons

You will want to get yourself a wire brush as well as some fine grit paper. Paint it on there with a paintbrush and wait about ten minutes and you will see the paint start to bubble up and you can scrap it away from there and apply more or just wait it all out until the bubbling stops then apply to any unfinished areas. This will take any paint off down to the surface level. Wear some heavy duty rubber gloves. After most of the paint is gone you can work the finishing touches with the wire brush and paper.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aircraft remover works great. I got a couple cans (like endless posted) for $3 each at wal-mart in the clearance isle. I've been using it to restore parts off my '66 chevelle. If it can take that **** off after crusting for 40 years it'll take anything off. (including your skin) Listen to Josho, and wear gloves. If you use a drill with a wire wheel, wear glasses too. pulling the wire out dosen't hurt as bad as the chemicals. lol

Old 11-23-2008, 09:27 AM

I used the Aircraft Remover on mine too. Had to do a few sturborn spots more than once but generally it was easy. Like the others said DON'T GET IT ON YOUR HANDS! You may not notice its on your skin until it starts burning like CRAZY so its best to use some nitrile chemical resistant gloves to begin with.