General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

removing adhesive from bodywork?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 12:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removing adhesive from bodywork?

hey guys, I was removing the decals from my bodywork, and after I got the vinyl off, it still has all the adhesive on the bodywork, anyone know how to get it off?

Old 04-16-2006, 10:20 PM
Default RE: removing adhesive from bodywork?

Wipe the glue with a mild paint thinner to soften it up. If it won't just wipe off then take something like a credit card ( plastic and flexible w/ a thin edge ) and use that to scrape off the glue. Keys here are make sure the thinner isn't strong enough to soften the plastic and be careful when scraping. This is what I just finished doing a few weeks ago when I redid my bike.

Old 04-17-2006, 01:27 AM

goo gone, Oops!, rubbing alcohol, anything like that, with this stuff you dont have to worry bout meltin plastic and stuff

Old 04-17-2006, 12:21 PM

When I removed the decals off of mine I used 3m adhesive, wax & mark remover. Stuff worked
great and didn't harm the plastics! Pick it up at your local auto parts house for about $8.

Old 04-17-2006, 04:13 PM

Charcoal lighter fluid works great and won't hurt the paint.

Old 04-17-2006, 08:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't use goof off, trust me

Old 04-18-2006, 06:08 AM

i used rubbing alcohol!!

Old 04-19-2006, 01:28 AM

At the auto parts store they sell a label and sticker remover. Its for taking off bumper stickers and stuff like that. It works good for decals as well. Once the decal is off the same stuff will take away the sticky residue. Also bug and tar remover will work, you can get this from the auto store too, its made for cars. And these won't mess up your paint. I've used goo gone and never had a problem with it....

Old 04-19-2006, 11:03 PM

use wd-40, unlike goof off or goo gone, there is no chance of it damaging the paint. just make sure to wash the area with saop and water after to remove and oily residue.

Old 04-20-2006, 03:00 AM

Today i removed the decals off my fairings because i am going to be painting them on saturday. I used that sticker remover and the goo gone stuff and neither did a very good job at all. I ended up using a blow dryer ( forgot to take the heat gun from work today) and pulling the decals off once the adhesive let go a little. It was a pain and i wish the sticker remover would have just taken them off haha but it did do a good job of taking off the left over sticky residue left behind from the decals.

Quick Reply: removing adhesive from bodywork?