General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear tire wear abnormal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 03:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear tire wear abnormal?

Hi All

I have been building on my cornering technique/confidence and i was quite proud when i got home from work this evening to see that i had gone over about as much as i would like to for now. being quite proud of myself i posted a picture of my (Chicken Strips) on facebook. next thing i know a chap who raced motorbikes last season in a minor leauge is trying to tell me i have something seriously wrong with my suspension based on the picture i uploaded. Now being a novice i wasnt sure what he was trying to say so i would like some advice please. i have a 2011 honda cbr 600f which is regulary serviced and very well looked after. and i have attached my picture below.

i would really appreciate any advice

Thanks

Steve

Name:  ac79a850.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  60.7 KB

Name:  362f4e3f.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  85.3 KB

Old 08-13-2012, 04:25 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Looks fine from here.

Any specific concern?

Old 08-13-2012, 04:34 PM

I have no concerns but when someone tells you that you may have a serious problem and you dont know much about it you can get a little concerned this is the last message I got:

Alright, thought I'd give you a quick explanation now I'm not so busy. Basically when your cornering your rear suspension is working and this shoes on your tyre. When your suspension is working correctly the line around the tyre will be smooth and straight. What your seeing on yous is the tyre skipping across the tarmac as the rear shock moves. It looks as tho it's to soft, but it's not just as easy as stiffening it up. We need to go through your static said first which is how much your suspension moves with just your weight on it. It should only drop 10mm when you put your weight on it. Then well do the front. It can also change with your tyre pressures and weather conditions but we need to start with your suspension. With it skipping like it is, you risk it skipping off the edge of the tyre as you get towards the edge. Also, modern tyres are manufactured to go more than the possible lean angle of the bike on a road. Remember the tyre moves with you as you corner so trying to get off the edge is near on impossible on the road. Just take it easy. Hope this helps and ill go through it with you face to face.

Last edited by gotcbr; 08-13-2012 at 04:57 PM. Reason: enhanced for clarity
Old 08-16-2012, 06:36 PM

looks fine to me. do you ride on any rough roads, in regards to the message the guy sent you, I think he is looking at it from a racers point of view and how they have there bike suspension setup to there weight and most street riders dont really adjust the rear suspension in that way. Also what compound is that tire i noticed its a 2 compound tire.

Last edited by yogi4476; 08-16-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:43 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

so how does it feel riding?

looks good to me though.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:45 PM

thats pretty much exactly how mine looked, and as yogi said, hes looking at it as a racer.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:38 AM

He's lookin at your chicken lines, those small unworn borders. Nothin to be concerned about, as already said; he's a racer. You ain't so just enjoy your bike.

Last edited by daviej; 08-17-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:25 AM
Muppet of the month August 2012 ROTM

There is no tearing or cupping so I dont know why he said that ...........feel free to take my tire pic and show him and lets see what he says.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

that speckled appearance on the edge will smooth out over time as it sees more action. the reason it has that distinct appearance is that the roads you are riding on are not perfectly smooth; small bits of aggregate stick out of the tarmac and leave those small divots on the edge of your contact patch as you pass over them -- they certainly arent making your tire skip around.
all of that is to in no way diminish the importance of proper suspension setup.

Quick Reply: Rear tire wear abnormal?