General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear sets

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 11:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear sets

what is the benifit of an aftermarket rear set?

Old 07-04-2006, 11:37 PM
Default RE: rear sets

For most squids out there (myself included) rear sets add a lot of bling to the ride....makes you look cooler on the bike, and kills your back and wrist on long rides.

To the real racers out there (myself excluded) rear sets add cornering ground clearance, add weight on the front wheel for better front tire contact, save a few ounces of weight, and even enhance tactile road feel through the pegs.

I have Attack rear sets, which are milled and polish up nicely with a little aluminum polish. I have the shifting set up in a racing configuration, which makes it easier for me to shift with my bad ankle which has limited up and down ranges of motion.

Old 07-04-2006, 11:42 PM

I also have a bad left ankle. So anything to make shifting easier. Thanks

Old 07-05-2006, 02:50 AM

I don't know how aftermarket rearsets would make shifts easier. In fact rearsets go up and back so they may make it worse on your ankle (depending on what the problem is of course). Even with stock rearsets you should be able to adjust the shift linkage to make shifting easier.

rearsets basically just provide better ground clearance and put your body in a more race oriented body positioning. They also usually have a grippy surface to allow your boots to grip better when leaning off

plus they are usually solid mount pegs so they work as slides when you crash and you can use them to lift your bike if you need to remove the swingarm

Old 07-05-2006, 04:53 AM

That is true, but I was referring to a race shifting pattern, 1 up and 5 down. In my case it is less painful to push down positively than up.

Old 07-05-2006, 01:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can do gp shift with stock rearsets on the F4i. actually i don't think there is a conversion one for it. you just have to flip the set up so it's on the top rather than on the bottom. you'll have to either remove the sprocket cover or cut it.

Old 07-05-2006, 03:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: woodyracing
Even with stock rearsets you should be able to adjust the shift linkage to make shifting easier.
How is the linkage adjustable? I need a closer fit to get better 1>2 shifts.

ORIGINAL: Tahoe SC

you can do gp shift with stock rearsets on the F4i. actually i don't think there is a conversion one for it. you just have to flip the set up so it's on the top rather than on the bottom. you'll have to either remove the sprocket cover or cut it.
Or you could use the VFR or Blackbird shifter parts.

Old 07-05-2006, 04:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea you can use the other shifter parts for the XX or VFR, but consider this...if you get any type of after market rearsets, since those shifters are not attached to the rearsets, they will be 1.25" further away from the shift point of your feet. for some it's no biggy but if you're feet are small, could pose an issue.

to adjust the linkage, unscrew the bolts at the case side and the shifter side and adjust to what you feel is best. closer to 90 is best...one is a reversed thread bolt.