General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

REALLY...stupid question

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 02:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default REALLY...stupid question

Ok so I changed the air filter today (K&N) and picked up some new spark plugs as well. Air Filter went in with noooo problems at all.... then I moved on to the spark plugs...wow am I just stupid here or is there a special tool or special way to get the spark plugs out? Seems like the normal spark plug socket is to short and the extender is to long and you cant fit the ratchet on top of the extender.

So how do you guys/gals do it???? Did you buy an extender that wasnt to short and not to long to fit in there after you pull down the radiator??? Im stumped and pissed and disgusted in myself that I cant figure this out.....

Any help is appreciated. Thanks all.

Old 09-20-2006, 03:19 AM
Default RE: REALLY...stupid question

Hey no problem my cbr was a hassle as well. you need a deep socket that fits and then you need a 3" extension and lastly you should use a swivel socket. if you put in the deep socket first the snap on the extension then the swivel socket then the actual socket wrench you'll get it loose. then basically disassemble the parts of the wrench teh way you put them in. to get the sparkplug out i like to use a magnet. works everytime for me. anymore questions lemme know. good luck

Old 09-20-2006, 03:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you could also use fuel line, or aquarium airline tubing to slip over the top of the plug and pull it out. to get to it easier, you can loosen the radiator from the frame, i just work my way in there, its possible without any extensions and stuff, ive done it. but you could use the extension and a u joint as jku05 suggested.

Old 09-20-2006, 12:59 PM

Right on thanks guys. I will go pick up that 3" extension and a magnet today. I have the swival ratchet so that should be all good. I spent about an hour trying to get this done last night and I almost smashed something half way through. My brother suggested a flex extension as well do you think that would work???? you could fish the extension in there then just snap on the ratchet away from the bike to get it off... I dont know might work....

Old 09-20-2006, 07:42 PM

Be careful when putting the socket in first. A lot of times the spark plugs are long enough to go through the top of the socket, preventing you from installing the extension afterward. I use a swivel extension, install the socket on the extension first and then put that assembly into the hole and then attach the ratchet afterward. As far as retrieving the spark plug, why not just use the spark plug cap? It's made perfectly to fit tightly over the spark plug.

Old 09-20-2006, 08:51 PM

yeah I accidently dropped the spark plug socket into the hole last night...about sh*t myself when I did it too...I was able to get it out but that damn 5" extension didnt make it easy at all........... I went out at lunch and bought a 3" extension.. we'll see if that works.

Old 09-21-2006, 01:35 AM

WHAT A B*TCH!!!!!! well I finished and got it done. but damn that was retarded. I think they make it hard to do on purpose so you give up and bring it to the dealer for them to do and charge you $100 in labor. wow..that sucked!

oh well... new K&N and new Spark Plugs all done...

Old 09-22-2006, 07:07 AM

why don't you buy the genuine honda plug socket that comes in the tool kit?? would have been cheaper than the 3" extension [&o]
Makes for changing the plugs easy

Old 09-26-2006, 09:56 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When changing my plugs, I would just remove the valve cover. It makes like soooo much easier for getting to the plugs and you can check the valvle lash while you there. I would then reuse the gasket after cleaning the valve cover and gasket. I have done this for years and not had an oil leak. By the way, I replace the valve cover gasket after every other plug change.

Old 09-29-2006, 07:12 AM

1999 CBR900
To get the spark plugs out I used two short extensions.

What kinda bike you have?

Quick Reply: REALLY...stupid question