General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Really stuck engine bolt!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 06:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Really stuck engine bolt!

I'm trying to mount some frame sliders on my 94' F2, but I can't for the life of me get the mounting bolts off. Tried reefing on it with a socket wrench and cheater bar, but just wound up rounding it off a little. Luckily I stopped before it got really round, but they are really on there. Any suggestions/ BTDT on getting these things off? It's sorta frustrating.

These are the ones I'm talking about:

[IMG]local://upfiles/15876/D1342683B1DA474E88C633CAF2DAAA78.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-18-2007, 06:33 PM
Default RE: Really stuck engine bolt!

IME, you need either impact or heat to remove a stuck bolt. If you dont have an impact wrench, you can take your
socket and cheater, stabilize it, like having someone stand it, then smack it the end of the cheater with a hammer. something will give.

Or, you could try heating it, but I would be a little worried about applying a torch to that area.

oh yeah, make sure you are turning it to the left[8D]

Old 04-18-2007, 06:40 PM

ORIGINAL: krash
oh yeah, make sure you are turning it to the left[8D]
Haha, thanks for the vote of confidence for my mechanical skills...

Old 04-18-2007, 06:48 PM
Banned

Try PB blaster or kroil to penetrate before the impact wrench.

You may have to modify and sacrifice a socket. Maybe drill and tap a set screw in the side to really lock the socket in place, but this can be dangerous with power tools.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:25 PM

Sorry to say this but you are having the same problem that I encountered in jan. What I think has happened is that the bolt has rusted to the frame and also fused to the engine mounting. There is no easy way round this.

Firstly you are going to have to cut the mounting bolt between the the frame and engine mount. You will have to take the engine out of the frame and saw along the mounting bolt case until you can clearly see the bolt shaft. Now apply some penitrating oil to the area and gently tap the bolt out.( Do not be heavy handed as you can break the mount off and by doing this you will reveal the oil ways and this is not repairable.) Once the bolt is out an alloy weld can be used to repair the slit you've made, and a new bolt can be used.

Hope that this helps as there is no easy or quick remedy for this. Ps. try not to use heat as this will melt the alloy casing, and as a footnote, these casings are made as a pair and can only be replaced as a pair. Good luck. If you need anymore advice you can pm me and I will get back to you asap.

[sm=bounceybounce.gif]

Old 04-18-2007, 07:31 PM

wow, that is serious. collector, I assume you tried an impact?

Old 04-18-2007, 07:36 PM

I did but the fused shaft made it impossible to turn, so that turned out to be the best option and only cost me a bolt and some welding. Total £21.00

Old 04-18-2007, 07:51 PM

Yikes, I hope it's not that bad. The bolt doesnt look rusted on the outside, but it's possible that it has fused itself to the frame or engine mount. Thanks for the heads-up collector, I will be on the lookout if penetrating oil/impact wrench combo doesnt work out.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pbblaster it, let it sit over night and then try it again. try not to use a slow constant force as it usually rounds bold. a quick hard motion usually works better at breaking a bolt free.

as far as heat...i wouldn't recommend it as it expands metal, making the bolt even tighter on there.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a product I recall seeing for situations like this that COOLS the bolt. It comes in a spray can with a tube.

Quick Reply: Really stuck engine bolt!