General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

really could use some help on timing adjustment...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 07:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me , have done everything I can think of...

Ok so I have acquired a.98 honda 600f3... it was dropped and has not been started in like three years. In the last month I have replaced battery,carbs, fuel pump, spark plugs, and chain sprockets and tires. .... it turns over gets fuel and has spark.. all three things fuel , spark, and combustion... read somewhere since it was dropped could have jumped timing. Never have I dont this one so ive got it all off and now im stumped. I do NOT want to do this wrong and screw up a valve or piston .... attached some pics hopefully someone out there can help. Bike has low mileage, gets to turning over and shoots flames out carbs when starter fluid aplied and back fires something fierce. Please give me some more knowledge. Done this all myself but now im stumped..feel like the manual is no help whatsoever...

Attached Thumbnails really could use some help on timing adjustment...-20160314_204257.jpg   really could use some help on timing adjustment...-20160314_204319.jpg  
Old 03-14-2016, 08:05 PM
Default Timing questions 98 honda 600f3 HELP!

So after bike sat untouched three years after being dropped, I took on this project.. in last month have replaced the battery, carbs, fuel pump, spark plugs, chain sprockets and tires... turns over great, getting fuel, spark and combustion.. even spits pretty blue flames =/ and back fires .. but will not start..... been researching asking around and was pointed in the direction that maybe it has jumped.timing.. so on a mission I am but I do not want to screw this up so this is as far as I am ... due to some posts being very non descriptive how to set it and others stating my bike isnt adjustable, im so confused... here are a few pictures of where im at..

Attached Thumbnails really could use some help on timing adjustment...-20160314_204257.jpg   really could use some help on timing adjustment...-20160314_204319.jpg  
Old 03-14-2016, 08:08 PM
Default How do I fix this grrr

So I have a 98 honda 600f3.. is timing adjustable ??

Old 03-14-2016, 08:19 PM
Default really could use some help on timing adjustment...

Long story short, got a 98 honda 600f3 ... was dropped while previous owner was running from police , stupid he is, bike sat untouched/ unstarted for three yrs, until last six months have swapped frames, bought new carbs, fuel pump, battery, plugs skirts and cables ...been trying to start ... with starter fluid it shoots blue frames out carbs and backfires. I know its vetting fuel spark and combustion.. was told possibly maybe timing jumped .... so ive taken that project on .. but tonight I read a post on a forum that my timing isnt adjustable... posting pics of what I got so far... please any information would be amazing... sadly drinking beer staring at my beast =(

Old 03-14-2016, 09:05 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Who told you the timing may have jumped? I can't see how a tipover would/could cause the timing chain to jump. Its easy to check. Pop the valve cover off and timing cover off and see if the marks are still aligned correctly.

EDIT: Just saw the pics once I merged the threads. The timing mark you're missing is on the engine cover. So put that back on, the remove the smaller cover in it to reveal the mark and line up the crank.

As far as your ignition timing goes, you'd need a different timing rotor if you were going to adjust it.

What all have you done so far? Are you sure your coils are running to the right plugs?

Last edited by Conrice; 03-14-2016 at 09:19 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:30 PM

Ha what havent I done =/ apparently I habe the california midel... just finding this out

Attached Thumbnails really could use some help on timing adjustment...-20160314_221948.jpg  
Old 03-14-2016, 09:31 PM

We just checked it all never adjusted anything I got tdc with the cover off and lined up like previous picture.

Old 03-15-2016, 05:52 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

What about the ignition - are you sure the right wires from the CDI are going to the right coil, and the the coil wires are going to the correct plugs?

Old 03-15-2016, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Conrice
What about the ignition - are you sure the right wires from the CDI are going to the right coil, and the the coil wires are going to the correct plugs?

The funny thing is that at midnight last night as I was putting carbs, plugs, coil packs, and radiator back on that thought did cross my head... ive got battery on charge and work for next ten hours..im still racking my brain why it wont start.

Old 03-15-2016, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator
Received 311 Likes on 255 Posts

since you said you changed the plugs, you double checked to insure you have the wires going to the proper cylinders?

Quick Reply: really could use some help on timing adjustment...