General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ram air

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 10:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ram air

How does it work? my friend advised me to remove the top chamber of the ram air duct to make the air intake more direct! would this make it better or worse???? please help.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:12 PM

.... I'm thinkin prolly not beings the ram air ducts are usually designed with the idea to force as much air as possible into your airbox while you're moving ..... but just to be sure i'm not throwing out crap what kinda bike are we dealing with here ???? ...

Old 05-08-2011, 03:45 AM

My bad! It's a cbr600f 2005! There's an additional box that plugs into the top of the main duct, it's easily removed but unless it's beneficial I'm not really bothered! Mainly I don't want it to worse!

Old 05-08-2011, 06:54 AM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rule of thumb... bike manufacturers, are motivated to squeeze every drop of HP/weight they can out of the product. They don't add extra weight/cost to the bike to make it less "ompah". Leave the air tract alone.

Ern

Old 05-08-2011, 11:04 AM

your friend may be reffering to a flapper mod. On some bikes, there is an internal flapper inside the airbox inlet that will open and close. even open, it can create some restriction.

It is true that manufacturers try to squeeze out the most hp and do not intentionally make bikes have less power. But, its only as much as they can while still complying with emissions and noise restrictions. Which is where the flapper comes into play. It can restrict the flow a little.

As for doing it or not? I wouldn't. Unless your bike is heavily modified and requires every last bit of air it can get, its not going to make a noticable difference. The rest of the bike is tuned to run with the flapper in place. it may make a little more intake noise, but thats about the only difference your going to see.

the cheapest and easiest way to get the bike to perform better is to do a sprocket swap. It will allow your bike to put the power it has down sooner and really wake up the bike.

Old 05-08-2011, 03:48 PM

I've already done the sproket trick, I do love it but I've lost 10/15mph off the top end great acceleration though! Also have a pc3 USB, a full viper exhaust system and a k&n air filter, wasn't to sure if playing with the air ducts would squeeze a little more horse out! As I don't really know enough about it I'll take your advise and leave it alone I think!

Old 05-08-2011, 05:06 PM

unless you often roll around the roads doing about 160 mph you'll never miss those 10/15 mph lol .... I had a 919 that I did the flapper mod on and I noticed it didn't have as much of a surge at around 5k (which is where the flap was set to open up) ... Not sure if it would help that much with your bike but all ya have to do is disconnect the vacuum tube and plug it (DON'T FORGET TO PLUG THE HOSE if you do this) ... the default position for the flap is open so that would unrestrict the flow of air through the ram air ducts ... worst case scenario, you notice no difference in performance and all you have to do is reconnect it ... give it a shot ...