General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radar Jammers? Opinions!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 07:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrHEX
i dont know if you have ever seen the youtube clips on radar/laser jammers but it is very obvious someone has got jammer.

the cop is reading speeds all day and then all of the sudden you get a zero reading or an error or what ever. then the guy beside you can get a 60 reading.

most cops know how to check for that. and that alone gives them grounds to pull you over and search you.
No, it doesn't unless they're illegal in your state. Like I said in my post, LASER JAMMERS ARE LEGAL in SOME/MOST states.

I also said Radar Jammers are illegal.

Learn the laws, they can't just search your car because of a laser jammer unless they're illegal in the state you're in.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:16 PM

ok people, here the solid facts. read the article, i dont want to hear anything about how you didnt read it, or it was too long.

eNJoy: E46Fanatics - View Single Post - Radar Detector/Laser Jammer Newbie Guide

Last edited by gotcbr; 06-05-2012 at 10:06 PM. Reason: expletive removed
Old 06-05-2012, 10:13 PM

wonder why he doesn't like cobra?
He recommends whistler though?
That's a cheapo brand we sell at walmart.
idk if I trust this guys opinion. What he says about radars is good though.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:11 PM

It's all good information, Cobra is complete crap. Whistler isn't bad, there are a lot of tests to show how good each brands models are, Whistler does alright.

On a side note, my Passport 8500 detected two or three cops today while driving in my car. So I am happy with that! Although neither time was I going over the speed limit because I was in trains of cars haha

Old 06-05-2012, 11:25 PM

Why is cobra crap?
I'd rather have cobra over whistler any day.
Nobody has any real evidence, only that they've heard cobra is crap.
I'm wondering why...
I've never had a problem with cobra, and recommend it.
I was a Radioman on a submarine, know all about radars...
The cobra I have detects all the bands, quickly, and with ample amount
of reaction time.
Whoever started this cobra is crap needs to prove it.
If it's because you THINK you're getting false pops, have you ever thought
that automatic doors and alarm systems set it off too. Driving through
the city it's gonna pick up all kinds of falses. Doesn't mean it's a bad detector.
It means it's doing its job and detecting any band that's throwing out a signal.
Mine even picks up detector detectors. Maybe I just got lucky and got a
good one...idk
I mean, it's no valentino but, it's a badass detector.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:43 AM

There are two main reasons why jammers are illegal no matter where you are.

1, the biggest one and this will almost always stick in court; they have to say you were interfering with official police business and you were interrupting/impeding justice. Same as jamming their laptop/radio signals, all fall under the same category.

2, you need a licence to transmit in those frequencies. When cops use them, the city/state/province/ext… has a licence to transmit at what ever frequency(s) the gun is set to. I know where I live; the city of Ottawa has a licence for all X, K and Ka bands as well as OPP and RCMP. When I lived in Toronto the city had the same licence.

Laser is a different story, it is arguably ‘light’ which does not require a licence since there is no actual transmission, they operate on nanometre (nm) and they are typically IR, so in theory that $2 Wal-Mart laser pointer will work the same way (but much weaker) so jamming that isn’t really jamming, all you are doing is producing your own ‘IR light’ so that is a so-so part, but some states and provinces have banned them because they interfere with police work.

So bottom line, radar jammers are illegal for many reasons and laser jammers might work but most cops will pull you over if you are jamming them, which really defeats the purpose of having one, which is so you can speed and get the faster.

So if the cop wants to be a *****, he will pull you over and waste an hour of your time for no reason.