General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radar Jammers? Opinions!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 10:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radar Jammers? Opinions!?

Not sure if this is the right section but...

What are all of your thoughts on radar jammers for motorcycles? I had a nice like $500 dollar one in my car a few years back, untill it got stollen when I left my window down one night

Anyways, I was thinking that one of these might be a good idea.

PROS:
Considering the fact that some are just slightly over $200....Thats about the price of a speeding ticket, and I'm sure a radar would save you from AT LEAST one speeding ticket in your day.

However, CONS:
1.)I would probably be more tempted to speed, and end up with more tickets/more risky situations in the long run.
2.) Pretty easy to steal off of a motorcycle, and taking it on and off while not riding would most likely become a hassle.

So... what do you think?
Do any of you have them, have experiences with them, or just have an opinion on them? I would like to hear it.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

Just learn to control your wrist and it becomes a non-issue.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:49 PM

The radar jammers do not work.

Nor does radar detectors, they go off so many times for random reason's you learn not to even pay attention to them.

+1 to what Idodirt said. Learn to watch your speed and control yourself and you wont need one.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:00 AM

RADAR jammers are illegal in my state. RADAR detectors are more common.

The majority of police in my state have/are switching to LIDAR. Unlike RADAR, LIDAR is a directed beam that hits one vehicle at a time. With fewer police using RADAR, a RADAR scanner is becoming obsolete. And if you have a LIDAR detector and it goes off, it's too late; you've already been tagged.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:14 AM

Hmm thanks for the info Darkninja, Seems kind of pointless when you put it like that.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:30 AM

radar jammers are illegal in the united states, it doesnt matter what state. Radar detectors can be helpful but like darkninja said, most police departments are switching to laser guns and if youre trageted with one of those its already too late. Laser jammers like the blinder or laser interceptor can be helpful for those though. You can go read reviews and see plenty of youtube videos where they actually jam to gun or at the worst the laser gun punches through when youre only like 1-200 ft away instead of 5-600 sooo that gives you a couple of extra seconds to see the cop and slow down. They test them with all the different laser guns police use too and they look pretty effective. I plan on buying a valentine radar detector and the blinder laser jammer system for my bike. I dont really speed ever but if the one or two times that i do there happens to be a speed trap where i am itll pay for itself. Plus im just a geek for tech stuff like that and the valentine and blinder can plug in and work together so i think itd be cool to have either way. Everyones got their hobbies.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:03 PM

Radar Jammers are illegal everywhere I know of. I have a detector in my car, it's kind of pointless since I don't speed much anyway. I mainly just have it for the highway where i will open up a bit and cruise in the fast lane.

A laser jammer is what you want, they're legal in most states (check your laws) and will jam the laser making it unable to pick up a reading. The cop will know you have one though, and they only really work on dark colored vehicles, flat black motorcycles and dark gear is harder to get a laser reading from actually.

Just my $0.02

Old 06-05-2012, 02:16 PM

i dont know if you have ever seen the youtube clips on radar/laser jammers but it is very obvious someone has got jammer.

the cop is reading speeds all day and then all of the sudden you get a zero reading or an error or what ever. then the guy beside you can get a 60 reading.

most cops know how to check for that. and that alone gives them grounds to pull you over and search you.

radar detectors are good if the cop is scanning in passing. like a dash mounted one or a tripod or something. he is pretty much looking for 10-15-20,,, over then pull you over. so in that case they will warn you.

a laser detector is useless. cuz by the time your detector goes off he already has your speed.

the color idea works but not all that well. i have had a flat black car and they just know to aim for your head lights or windscreen or something that is not matt/flat color and boom they got you. in a car its the front grill/plates

the radar/laser paint is good but it needs to be applied every 3-4 weeks for it to work properly, it washes off and the UV actually breaks it down, they dont tell you this when you buy it but they dont last a long time at all.

my two cent, watch your speed and stay with a pack, cars or bikes, and try not to draw attention to your self. if the cop can hear your bike before they see you, they know you are speeding. or if they see you zig-zag-ing in the lanes and all over the place you are getting pulled over.

you can usually go a bit over the limit or keep up with a speeding buch and be ok. its when you go way faster then most, is when you get a nice fat ticket.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:16 PM

Radar detectors work very well if you get a good one.
I got a nice cobra and it picks up radars like 2 or 3 miles down a hilly highway.
If a cop is coming with his radar on, it will pick it up all the way as far as you
can see down the highway but when he goes down a the hill it shuts off
until he pops back up over the next hill it goes off again.
Have never got a speeding ticket with one in the car.
Plus it lets you know when cops are around.
It's helpful when your late in the morning, but around here cops don't
usually come out in the morning work rush and rush hours.
Have even got pulled over and the cop was trying to say we were doing
50 in a 35 until he seen the radar detector he let us go.
The thing didn't even go off, so he obviously wasn't using his radar.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:29 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rocky Mountain Radar and Tiger has a couple that are cheap but scramble quite effectively.

Quick Reply: Radar Jammers? Opinions!?