General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question about disc locks

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005 | 02:01 AM
|
Retired Administrator
Default question about disc locks

here's a question for you... I'm thinking buying a disk lock for obvious reasons. Does anyone use them here? Why do you put it on the front instead of the back? Use it on the back and roll the bike so its touch the caliper while it's parked... kinda eliminates the "forgetting to remove it" scenario some of you have seen. Will the locks work on the back?

Old 11-18-2005 | 02:55 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Default RE: question about disc locks

I don't know if they will work on the rear or not. Just know that it'd be my luck to forget to take the thing off. Usually the only place I ride where I can't see my bike is at work. So I have a cable lock at the motorcycle parking lot. I just know too many people that are smarter than me that have forgotten to take a disk lock off -- so I'm not testing fate.

Old 11-18-2005 | 06:35 AM
|
Retired Administrator

that's why I said to use the rear. put it on the rear and roll the bike forward so it's touching the caliper. That way, if you do forget, all you'll do is stall the bike because the back wheel will be locked and not allow the bike to roll at all.

Old 11-18-2005 | 07:55 AM

That plan is still likely to cause damage to your caliper, thats the reason i don`t use them too, i`d forget and cause some damage [:@]

+ i park my bike inside at work,

Old 11-18-2005 | 08:21 AM
|
Retired Administrator

would it damage the caliper if you used it like I said? It wouldn't have any room to roll so it should just stall. I've found long (about 3 feet) red flags that say remove before flight.... like the ones you see on jet planes, that you can hook to the lock to help remind you it's there.

Old 11-18-2005 | 08:27 AM

I think it would, its would be forcing against the caliper and disc when you tried to take off, metal on metal, can`t be good.

Old 11-18-2005 | 02:10 PM

theres a little bungee cord thing you can buy that you put inside the disk lock when you lock it on and you run the other end to the bar. if you put it on your clutch then you see it when ever you start your bike and it reminds you about the disk lock. cost like five bucks and it does what its supposed to do.

Old 11-18-2005 | 05:55 PM

Yeah but then everyone knows your a gimp who forgets his disclock`s on.

Old 09-01-2009 | 09:57 PM
Default i got a idea

just buy a plastic hose at home depot just to put your bike key in that way you have to remove it to insert it in your bike ... then when you remove lock put it in the bag that the disk lock came in ... i just bought a OnGuard Boxer 5052 from amazon for 16 bucks and it comes with a wire to hang on your bike to let you and everyone else know its there .. I will let you all know if I forget it one night and mess something up ... its silver but i might paint it a bright color .. I agree I HAD a acura gsr stolen and they came back a week later after they tried the first time and didnt get it ... I had a pager alarm and that didnt help me ... apts just suck ... could always park it in a storage garage and hope people dont know its in there...but I agree .... if they want it there is no stopping them you can only hope to slow them down so someone will see them also whats the use in a alarm when they can just remove the seat and pull battery ... also I have herd of pepole hooking a battery up to the bike to un ground it and blow the fuse ...dont know if thats true just a rumor ...oh also hook siren up to horn so they both go off ... thats what saved my car the first time cause they got the hood open and cut the siren wird but was not ready for the horn ..... but anyway they came back and got it so in the end didnt help me

Old 09-01-2009 | 10:47 PM

I used a disc lock for a while, but like everybody, I forget to take it off 1st, luckily no damage. What I ended up doing was going back to using a big bloody chain (encased in plastic tubing) & big padlock that I would wrap the rear tyre & any handy street sign or post. You can get bike alarms that also come with a couple of meters of cable, so that if your bike is moved or cable cut, alarm goes off.
Disc lock, chain or alarm, neither are going to stop anyone that seriously wants to take your bike, just a discouragement for someone without bolt cutters & a ute.
Putting it on the back is not a bad idea, but I think disc locks have to great a potential to damage your bike or worst scenario, cause you end up on your backside. but on the plus side they are easier to carry.

Quick Reply: question about disc locks