General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powdercoating Swingarm ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 01:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powdercoating Swingarm ??

2006 600RR

I am getting ready to powdercoat quite a few parts on my bike. I have been looking at a lot of pics of other bikes and noticed a few things. First: does the alignment and chain tension part of the swingarm need to be bare or is it ok to be powdercoated and still fit be able to slide in the adjusters?? Is there anything special I need to do for the clutch cover and stator cover before sending for powdercoat... bearings, seals?? I know the pivot shaft bearings need to be pressed out of the swingarm before powdercoat, just wasn't sure what else needed to be done to the swingarm or covers.

Advice or suggestions?

Old 01-24-2008, 07:44 AM
Registered Users
Default RE: Powdercoating Swingarm ??

don't need to press out bearings if you send it to someone who typically does bike parts just need to remove any rubber or plastic seals, the heat will not harm the bearings...you should grease them up when you get it back though...PCing the chain adjuster areas should be fine....if it's a little to snug...just sand it down when you get it back...

there is nothing you need to do to either cover.....there are needle bearings in the clutch cover but they are on the inside...just have whoever is PCing for you mask them off good so that don't get any sand blasted into them....

Old 01-26-2008, 12:49 AM

Thanks for the help.

Old 01-26-2008, 04:07 AM

ffingers is right; get some Simple Green or some other degreaser for the bearings in the swingarm - degrease the **** out of them, and run some boiling water through them to get as much grease out as you can - if its still in there for the powdercoating process, it can melt and run during the baking process and totally mess up the finished product. Take off EVERYTHING that is made of rubber or soft plastic - the dust seals in the bearings, chain guards, anything plastic. It'll melt - the oven goes to 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes. You have to have the parts blasted or stripped of all paints/coatings.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:40 AM

So mask off the bearings in the clutch cover... do the swingarm bearings need to be taped off?? I was going to have the shift linkage coated too but I saw that there are two rubber grommets at each joint. What should I do about those? Thanks for the help. I will try and post pics when everything is finished.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:12 PM

This is lots of useful info, there's at least 4 of us on here that have removed the swing arm in the past week for pc'ing. I am trying to do my swing arm, passenger pegs, both side covers and the shifter linkage...I was also wondering about the forks...black forks would really finish the look off. Any forseeable problems with doing the forks? (or the fork covers, I guess it would be)

Old 02-18-2008, 12:19 PM
Registered Users

nope...you can do the fork tubes....just have to take everything apart....

when i finally move and this riding season is over....i can't afford to tear her down during prime riding time...i will do my swinger and tubes and subframe....although taking apart my forks scares me a little as i have never done that before....

so far...for those who care...lol..

i have pc'd my

- wheels
- calipers
- rearsets
- pass pegs
- stator cover
- engine cover
- ceramic coated midpipe and canister cap
- chain guard
- heel guards

soooo...i have a little bit info when it comes to powdering...lol...all in gloss black (except the calipers, they be in red)

Old 02-18-2008, 12:45 PM

Fingers, when you get a chance, could you post some pics of the gloss black...I was wondering if I should go gloss or more of a flat black to match the frame.

My Vortex rear sets are gloss black, so the passeneger pegs I'll probably do gloss...but the swing arm I was leaning towards flat.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:28 PM

I don't think your forks will fit back into your triple and lower clamp, and if you try to put it back in, you might scratch the coating.... but where there's a will, there's a way!

Old 02-18-2008, 04:48 PM
Registered Users

@jfunk... if i get a chance i'll take a few pics....might not be for a few days though...i am going to eventually do the frame, swinger and sub all gloss black so that is why i am going that route.....but right now i have all that stuff gloss and the matte swinger, sub, and frame don't make it look bad at all...so i don't think it'll matter...

@volksdragg....depending if you got inverted or not too....for me my clamps go on the fork tubes, not the holders (i can't remember the EXACT names, they are escaping me right now)....so powdercoating those wouldn't do anything with triple fitment....on top of that...the triples clamp on so there is a little wiggle room on em....so i am PRETTY sure you could get it on without scratching the PC as it's pretty hard and then just clamp em down...

Quick Reply: Powdercoating Swingarm ??