General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential fan electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 05:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential Fan Electrical Issues

92 600 F2

It seems that about every other day, as I'm riding home from work, my bike seems to stall at the same spot where I sit in traffic waiting for a long light. It doesn't sputter and then stall either, it just shuts off as if I hit the kill switch. This only happens when I am stopped at idle. I'm about 90% sure it's doing this when the fan turns on. Is my fan drawing too much current and, if so, how might I diagnose/fix this?

Here's an embarrassing story for you:

This usually ends up with me killing me battery and having to push start it. It was especially bad today because I was pushing my bike into a parking lot to get out of the road, looked up at a hot girl who was pulling into the parking lot, and dropped the bike right in front of her. She laughed. Ouch!

Any help would be appreciated since I use this bike to commute to work.

Just for reference, here's a list of things I've done to it recently:
-New battery
-New starter
-New spark plugs
-New fan switch sensor
-New R/R
-New thermostat
-Synced carbs
-Drained float bowls
-Cleaned carbs
-Changed oil and oil filter
-Coolant drain and flush

Last edited by mdowney421; 09-01-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:44 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

So did the hot girl help you pick up your bike & hand you her number? LOL...

Ok, can it be one of the fan blade is bent, but if this is the can, then the fan blade will get stuck and draw to many voltage leading to a blown fuse.

Were you about to start the bike after it stall?

Check the fan blade, if free spinning. Do it when engine off/ cold. If you are not able to turn the blade smoothly...there's your problem.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:19 PM

Unfortunately, no. She only laughed, drove away, and took a little bit of my pride with her.

Checked the fan blades and none are bent. It spins freely and the fuse is not blown.

I tried to start the bike a couple of times after it stalled and it only cranked. No ignition. This is typical after it happens. Sometimes it will start if I give it about 15 minutes after it stalls. Maybe it needs to cool down first?

My thinking is that it might have something to do with the fan motor itself. Is it typical for these to get old and draw too much current?

Old 09-01-2012, 04:36 PM

I've concluded that it is definitely an electrical issue. I just conducted a test: I watched the fan as the bike approached the temperature at which the fan normally turns on. Sure enough, the second the fan turned on, the bike stalled.

I did this test a number of times. It doesn't always shut off when the fan comes on, but if I add the brake light and the turn signal to the mix, it's a sure thing that it will stall.

Here are some voltages that I measured:
No fan, no brake light, no turn signal: 13.0-13.5V
Fan on, no brake light, no turn signal: 12.8-13.5V
Fan on, brake light on, no turn signal: 12.5-13.2V
Fan on, brake light on, turn signal on: 12.5-13.0V

Does anyone think that the charging voltage is pretty low? It feel like it should produce more than 13.5V.

It's got a new R/R in it, so stator?