General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PO lost the keys, what now?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 08:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PO lost the keys, what now?

Will Honda make me a set of keys if I give them my VIN number? What else might I need to make this happen?

Old 02-01-2011, 08:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pull out the ignition key assembly then bring it to locksmith, they can make a key for u..just bring any identification that u owned the bike..

Old 02-01-2011, 09:28 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the bike has a "chipped key" you're in for a nasty shock - costwise.
If not, most locksmiths can make you a key in 20 minutes or less.
Blanks are available on e-Bay

Old 02-01-2011, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by raiden
pull out the ignition key assembly then bring it to locksmith, they can make a key for u..just bring any identification that u owned the bike..
Uh... not sure what locksmith you go to, but last time I talked to one of them, they wanted an outrageous amount of money.

Last time I got a vehicle key cut was for my old cavalier, and they charged me 5 dollars.

I am sure Honda will charge more than 5 bucks, but no where near as much as a smith. Bring your insurance/registration license are good for ID. The cards have your VIN on them.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:21 AM

Look at this post, might be of some help. https://cbrforum.com/forum/alternative-parts-80/keys-cut-114114/

Old 02-02-2011, 12:20 PM

This is the progress that I made this morning. Got an original honda key blank for $9 and the locksmith will charge me $20. All i have to do is bring him the ignition switch. Can anyone give me a heads up on what tools i will need and if it is a simple procedure? I don't ask out of laziness i only ask because i will have to do this at the PO' house tonight.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by 2001F4i
This is the progress that I made this morning. Got an original honda key blank for $9 and the locksmith will charge me $20. All i have to do is bring him the ignition switch. Can anyone give me a heads up on what tools i will need and if it is a simple procedure? I don't ask out of laziness i only ask because i will have to do this at the PO' house tonight.
Honda wouldn't cut it for you? Did you ask? If not, I guess that is good to know.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:28 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dissevered
Honda wouldn't cut it for you? Did you ask? If not, I guess that is good to know.
If honda wouldn't cut it, I guess couldn't prove it was his bike.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:23 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001F4i
This is what my locksmith charges. He's done it many times in this situation. He can do it w/ the ignition switch off or still on the bike. Many folks will just load up their bike & take it down to his shop for him to key it right there in his parking lot.

Quick Reply: PO lost the keys, what now?