General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plugs and Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 08:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plugs and Air Filter

Hey,

New Member and New CBR 600 Owner. I just purchased a 96 cbr and starting working on it. It needs body work and a few parts. But, the reason I'm posting is I started the bike the day I purchased it and rode it pretty light...everything was working well. Two days later the bike would not start. A friend/mech told me that the carbs might need cleaning. I dug through the bike found the carbs and the looked at them and they were really clean...no real gunk in them...the air filter was dirty...

first question what kind of air filter should i get...and where online is there a store....how much are they usually?

so after i looked at the carbs I sprayed some carb cleaner on them in hopes to hear the bike run. Put the tank on and went to start it and kept getting back fires and no run.

Any suggestions?

Think I should replace the plugs? If so what kind should I get and where?

Also want to paint...seat is yellow white and purple. Should I paint the cover or take it off and get a new one? If so any suggestions on where to get a cheap seat cover (black)?

Paining plastic....I heard sanding them...with fine sand paper? Is this the right route? Tank the same?

Sorry for soooo many questions but I want to be up in running in a few weeks with a nice looking bike!!!!

Put some pics in the post to show off how ugly my bike is NOW...soooon you will see a different bike!
Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Site is the best I have seen...and I surf the web alot at work!

[IMG]local://upfiles/767/16A313BD374F432F94D3D9D3D6CB9AFB.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/767/6596B829F695413B8249E7A02DC29164.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-20-2005, 09:52 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Plugs and Air Filter

Maybe it's just cold ... brrrrrr. Check the plugs and see what kind of condition they're in before you replace. Sometimes just cleaning them will do the trick. As far as not starting now, need more info. What kind of mods does it have? There are so many simple things that will keep a bike from starting that it's almost impossible to diagnose. Sometimes it's the side stand being down and the bike being in gear or the kill switch got flipped. Go with the easy stuff first (in neutral, kill switch, etc) and then go from there.

Old 03-26-2005, 01:13 AM

Any suggestions on the other questions?

Old 03-26-2005, 03:42 AM

maybe the battery is low causing a weak spark..sittin in the cold like that has to be hell on the electrical components

Old 03-26-2005, 09:07 PM

brand new battery...it been in a heated garage for two weeks

Old 03-27-2005, 02:37 AM

I don't know what you consider cheap, but this site has some nice seat and tank covers.

http://www.second-look.com/Store/ind...alog632_0.html

hope this helps.

Old 03-27-2005, 10:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the family Ssaleeb1. I'm not sure on the mechanical problem but you should stick with a paint scheme that is common to Honda and can be seen well at night...yellow or red.

Old 03-27-2005, 11:47 PM

I have the same spark plug problem with mine. I've found out that if you slightly work the choke up as you try to start it, it works without fouling the plugs. I used to go in and pull the choke all the way open. It seemed to get to much fuel to it and I had fouled plugs.

Old 03-28-2005, 01:35 AM

What would you bike do when you would put the choke all the way up. When I orginally tried to start the bike it didnt turn over. So my first thought was the plugs and I just changed them. Now when I go to start the bike it wants to start then it back fires and boogs down. Should i redo the plugs again? Should i try to work on the carbs? Should I take the bike in the shop?

Steve

Old 03-29-2005, 09:36 PM

are you sure you got the proper sparkplug caps on the proper sparkplugs ( I'm talking about firing order here...) If it is not right the bike will pop and bog down since the ignition is not firing the sparkplugs at the right time

Quick Reply: Plugs and Air Filter