General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plugging a tire?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 06:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plugging a tire?

Hey guys I just bought some new Z6's in april and now the rear is going flat.....it has a small pin hole size hole in the tread. I was told that it could be plugged? Now I have never plugged a tire and I was wondering would this be safe and would it last? Or am I stuck buying a brand new tire??? I have a auto plugging kit and I was wondering could I just plug it with this while leaveing the tire on??

What do you guys think?

Old 06-25-2005, 08:36 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Plugging a tire?

The truth is it would probably hold up fine as long as you didn't push it (read: no high speed runs or canyon carving). A guy at work plugged his tire and ran it another 2000 miles with no probs. If I get a hole in mine I chuck the tire and put on a new one. I just don't see the point of having a bike if I can't thrash it. You'd most likely have to do it yourself -- most dealers don't want the liability of plugging a tire. Some will patch it though.

Old 06-25-2005, 10:24 AM

Most shops will have you sign a waiver to plug a bike tire. If I get a nail in my tire, i'll just replace it. Most patches are ok, but you can always get a defective one, or one that can't hold up to the stress of riding. My life is worth more then the price of a new tire. So i'll always play it safe and get a new one.

Old 06-27-2005, 04:23 AM

The normal plugs used are a big mushroom shaped piece that is inserted (the "cap" of the 'shroom is inside the tire). Basically it's impossible for it to come out. Your results may vary.

There are statistical possibilities; but than again the sidewall could delaminate, or you could "chunk" a tire and have the belt material shred the back end of the bike[:'(]. The reality is: when exceeeding posted speeds by an exponential number you are playing Russian Roulette. With that said I had my own experience(s) with augmented speeds, so I'm not about to preach the sermon regarding speed.[]

Cheers

Old 06-28-2005, 05:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a new front tire in the past and got a screw in it shortly after. I was not looking forward to replacing the tire so soon. I used the basic auto plug kit and after it wore smoothe in a few weeks, it rode like new and I never had a problem with it. But you should only push your luck with a good to new tire with plenty of tread. Don't use them on worn tires that you think twice about using a plug on.

Old 06-28-2005, 07:44 PM

i havent had a problem from pluging a tire before. only time i wouldnt recommed it is when the hole is too close to the side walls.

Old 06-28-2005, 08:04 PM

I WOULD NEVER PLUG A TIRE ON A BIKE. IT IS THE ONLY THING HOLDING YOUR *** OF THE ROAD!! I ALWAYS BUY NEW TIRES WHEN THEY HAVE HOLES!

Old 06-29-2005, 12:14 PM

I used to work at a tire place. Of course we only did car tires. I'm not too familiar with bike tires, but I know they are alot tougher than car tires.

The only way I could see you plugging the tire were to be to take it off, then straddle it and get the plug ready and use all your weight to drive the plug through. But, I would always recommend patching a tire instead of plugging it. Patches will last about as long as the life as the tire, and if the hole is small enough it will hold up just fine. However, like I said I only have experience in car tires. You may want to call around and ask a few bike shops' opinions on the matter.

Old 08-15-2005, 08:47 PM

hey, i always plug my tires when they get a nail or something and have never had a problem. But thats just my experience.

Old 08-15-2005, 09:22 PM

I had to replace the my Z6 too. after not making a quick light and slamming on my breaks , pssssst flat....
i just replaced after some advice off another site. id rather have a new tire

Quick Reply: Plugging a tire?