General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please tell me I'm not an Idiot!

Old 03-06-2008, 07:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please tell me I'm not an Idiot!

Ok guys, here's the deal. I was installing my fender eliminator, and like a bonehead I was trying to rush things because it was getting dark. Long story short, I cut the wire connecting the stock license plate light to get it off. After finishing installing the fender eliminator the bike wouldn't start. However, the headlights did kick on.

Can you guys help me out?

Old 03-06-2008, 09:18 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy
Default RE: Please tell me I'm not an Idiot!

any more specific information on how the bike isn't starting ? does it crank ? do you hear the fuel pump ?

Old 03-06-2008, 10:05 PM

It does crank on occasion. It doesn't show anything on the instrumentation. When it was working properly the speedometer woould go from 0 to 180 and back down when I turned the key. There is none of that now. I did mention that the head lights did come on but they were very faint. I don't know if this helps, but I hope so.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:16 PM

hmmm...try reconnecting the wire you cut by accident? Do the lights on the fender eliminator work?

Old 03-06-2008, 10:29 PM

This is the set up I am currently have and the rear blinkers didn't work when the key was turned to the "ON" position.

Name:  CBRFEK.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  29.2 KB

Old 03-07-2008, 12:07 AM

The rear lights are not running lights. They are only blinkers. It seems from your last post that you were expecting them to come on when you turned the key on? Maybe I just mis-understood. As far as no instrumentation, you probably shorted a wire to ground, blowingthe"gauges" or "instrument"fuse and causing a major draw in amperage (hence dim headlights). Undo everything you did while rushing, hook everything back up the way it was originally, and then take your time and be careful about where your wires are located when you make the second attempt.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:41 AM

ORIGINAL: zerochickenstrips

The rear lights are not running lights. They are only blinkers. It seems from your last post that you were expecting them to come on when you turned the key on? Maybe I just mis-understood. As far as no instrumentation, you probably shorted a wire to ground, blowingthe"gauges" or "instrument"fuse and causing a major draw in amperage (hence dim headlights). Undo everything you did while rushing, hook everything back up the way it was originally, and then take your time and be careful about where your wires are located when you make the second attempt.
+1 Wiring is hell if you rush.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:07 PM

Nah, I know they aren't running lights. But the blinkers were not working on either the front or back after the mishap.

I won't be getting around to doing anything today, since this damn OHIO weather, and it looks like it might be a few before it gets any better.

I think it could also be a battery issue as well. because when I had it out on Superbowl Sunday I was having issues with the battery.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:11 PM

try a new batt. No wiring near the license plate lamp should affect starting of the bike. Battmust be dead.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:44 PM

ORIGINAL: demdudes954

try a new batt. No wiring near the license plate lamp should affect starting of the bike. Batt must be dead.
thats what I'm thinking/hoping, but I don't know because I was out riding the whole day before I decided to do the install. I also had the battery charged on suberbowl sunday when I had issues. I sure hope thats the problem though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Please tell me I'm not an Idiot!