General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Help Me Figure Out My Wiring Harness!! With Pics.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 08:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you were just hooking a battery to the starter then I would think that you weren't doing anything, but theoretically testing the starter. The ecu won't have any power that way, which would cause no spark and the engine not to start. You're going to need to get ignition power to everything in order for that to work

Old 08-26-2011, 08:46 PM

Yeah you're right. I come from working on dirt bikes, and usually if you can get the engine to turn over you can get the stator to make enough power to get it to spark. But the no power to the ICM idea sounds like the right thing, I'll see if I can get it figured.

IMPORTANT:

I really, really need someone to help me out with the gauge connector issue that I have right now. That is pretty much the only thing that is stopping me from completing this!!!!!

Thanks,
Ca

Old 08-29-2011, 08:31 AM

Is the harness from an F3?? I think you need to twist 2 wires together,someting to do with the ram-air.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:10 PM

Yeah it's from a 96 F3, I did read about the ram air thing but I can't remember which wires to twist together...I think it was a pink one and a ground but I can't remember. I don't have any of the ram air solenoids or lines, so I will just be plugging the holes where the hoses went into the carbs and trade off slow speed jetting for a little less weight and a lot less headache.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by CalKirley
Yeah it's from a 96 F3, I did read about the ram air thing but I can't remember which wires to twist together...I think it was a pink one and a ground but I can't remember. I don't have any of the ram air solenoids or lines, so I will just be plugging the holes where the hoses went into the carbs and trade off slow speed jetting for a little less weight and a lot less headache.
I don't think it matters if you're using them or not,you still have to twist them together.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:49 PM

Good news! I got spark today with just a few things, and I don't like to leave a thread open ended, so I'll post up my results.

WHAT YOU NEED TO RUN
ECU
Starter relay
Battery
Coils
Spark plugs
Right handlebar switches
Ignition(key) switch
Fuse box
Regulator/rectifier
Complete clutch switch and side stand switch circuit
Wiring harness
Ground pink wire for ram air solenoid

That is all that I have on my harness as of now (I think, I'm too tired to go outside and look), and it was thought that earlier in this thread that the gauges were needed to start it ; theyre not.

I hope this helps someone who is looking to make a stunter or a racer out of their F3. Now the next project will be to cut out all the lighting and make a custom harness which will hopefully be about 75% smaller. I will keep this thread updated with my progress.

Cal

Old 09-01-2011, 03:05 PM

Damn. I was wondering the whole time why I couldn't find the pink wire coming from the gauges and why there was an extra plug. I ran the engine ID number a few minutes ago and found that it is a 94 F2 instead of what I thought was a 96 F3. Tuscondude saw through it, I just was stupid and didnt check what I should have. Unfortunately, I was trimming the harness and found out mid way through cutting it up, so we will see if I caused any damage.

FOR F3 OWNERS, DISREGARD THE POST BEFORE, THIS IS AN F2 ENGINE

Old 09-01-2011, 04:53 PM

wow man, glad to hear your getting somewhere with it, I wanna ride it :P

Old 09-02-2011, 06:17 AM

Well the wiring harness is OK for now, I just cut out the front and rear signals and the flasher relay and it scared me too much to continue . And Cobra, I will be giving free rides to whoever helps me out with the project, I have three spare sets of tires for everyone so far and working on getting more.

Old 05-19-2021, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by CalKirley
Good news! I got spark today with just a few things, and I don't like to leave a thread open ended, so I'll post up my results.

WHAT YOU NEED TO RUN
ECU
Starter relay
Battery
Coils
Spark plugs
Right handlebar switches
Ignition(key) switch
Fuse box
Regulator/rectifier
Complete clutch switch and side stand switch circuit
Wiring harness
Ground pink wire for ram air solenoid

That is all that I have on my harness as of now (I think, I'm too tired to go outside and look), and it was thought that earlier in this thread that the gauges were needed to start it ; theyre not.

I hope this helps someone who is looking to make a stunter or a racer out of their F3. Now the next project will be to cut out all the lighting and make a custom harness which will hopefully be about 75% smaller. I will keep this thread updated with my progress.

Cal
hey buddy I have a 06 600rr fuel injection and got a cart almost finished. But can't because I'm building the rear end around the motor that is still on the bike frame. I found it easier to just cut the forks off and leave everything set as is already set up. Also have no cluster for this bike. Can I get by with out it? It's been awhile since I have seen the key haven't looked hard but is that a problem I rather have a push button myself. Please help me out.

Quick Reply: Please Help Me Figure Out My Wiring Harness!! With Pics.