General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Help Me Figure Out My Wiring Harness!! With Pics.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 08:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help Me Figure Out My Wiring Harness!! With Pics.

Hi guys,
As some of you know, I am in the middle of building a kart with a CBR600 engine on it. I was given most of the wiring harness and have had to piece things together wiring wise, and now I'm stumped. So far, I have everything except for a starter relay, actual switches (like the sidestand), the gauges, the handlebar controls, and the lights and related switches(which are unneeded for me).

The problem is that I can't seem to get a spark no matter what I try.

Here is what I've tried to get the system to spark:
Grounded the green ground wire to the engine
Connected the sidestand switch green wire to green wire to bypass the switch
Connected the black and black/white wires on the engine stop switch
Right now, because I have no starter relay, I have been connecting the starter directly to the battery and still have gotten no spark.

Am I headed in the right direction? Does anyone know what could be going on?

All help is greatly appreciated
Cal

Name:  P1010658.jpg
Views: 3472
Size:  109.1 KB
Name:  P1010657.jpg
Views: 4797
Size:  88.3 KB
Name:  P1010659.jpg
Views: 2501
Size:  118.8 KB
Name:  f3wiring.jpg
Views: 10358
Size:  70.9 KB
Name:  StarterCircuit.jpg
Views: 7638
Size:  36.7 KB

Name:  P1010646.jpg
Views: 2159
Size:  183.5 KB

Old 08-10-2011, 08:40 PM

well to me it looks as if you got all the safety switches bypassed. Have you had the computer tested I had one go bad on me once and it will not get spark. Other than that it looks like you got everything else covered.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:05 PM

How do you test the computer?

Another question is should there be spark if I'm only applying current to the starter? Will the stator power the ignition with it just turning over?

Old 08-11-2011, 01:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

stator doesn''t power anything. bike runs on battery, including at crank, and the stator just recharges the battery.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:59 PM

I had to take the computer to a shop and he tested it for me I think it was a few years ago when I had this problem. Call a local shop and ask them if they can test it for you. And if your grounds are all good and you have power to everything needed then it should get spark.

at the starter relay there may have been a wire that gives hot to power everything needed, if you bypassed the relay - check for wires in that area.

I would start with a test light (they are very cheap), start from the battery to the ignition switch make sure power is being passed through everything you bypassed ( kick stand switch/engine stop switch/etc ).

p.s. If you have a friend with a 600 ask him if you can try his computer or him test your computer on his bike. could be an easy way to test.

Hope this helps you out.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:10 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe the engine won't start without the gauge, headlight and another connector I don't remember which one connected, Have you bypassed that or just not connected it as you said you didn't need it?

Old 08-11-2011, 04:32 PM

I have just been leaving the gauge and headlight plugs open, that is probably why. I have been looking to get a gauge from either an F3 or an F4i to make things work a little easier. I am going to try to bypass the headlight for now, and maybe keep the plug set up in case I need to have it for some early morning testing Also, if you do figure out what other switch I will have to bypass, it will help a ton!

Old 08-11-2011, 11:57 PM

from looking at a pic of a starter relay there is a red hot wire you need to power the ignition switch, without that you won't have spark. look at your diagram too its a red hot wire from the relay to the ignition switch.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:10 AM

If this is an F2

you do not need the guages/headlight hooked up.

kill switch needs shorted/closed to ground

all 3 ignition wires should be shorted together to start, your key should do this.

if you had the starter relay, shorting the yellow/red wire to ground would start the bike.

The f2 clutch lever also has 2 wires coming out of it. not sure how the clutch swithc works.

since it is not in your pictures, you do have a battery connected to stock terminals/wires?

The starter will run and turn the motor over even with the kill switch off/open, and the bike will not run.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:44 PM

The engine is a 96 f3. I just got the gauge cluster aNd starter relay, but I have no idea how to connect the 9 pin connector on the wiring harness to the blade kind of thing on the back of the gauge. I think it should be running when I get the gauge connected and the right hand kill/start switch installed, so if anyone could help me figure out the problem with the gauges it would really help!

By the way, I had been trying to start it by directly connecting the battery to the unplugged leads on the starter motor.

Quick Reply: Please Help Me Figure Out My Wiring Harness!! With Pics.