General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PLEASE HELP: F4i INJECTION PROBLEMS

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 01:31 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE HELP: F4i INJECTION PROBLEMS

Alright people, I'm a newbie on this foruma s well as many others in the past week. I have a problem with my 2001 cbr f4iand I have found thata fewpeople have this problem now and have in the past, but no exact solution has been posted. I'm going to copy my post from anothe forum in hope that anyone will be able to point me in the right direction. there is also a copy of a post from another member of stunt life that has the same problem as of today... Thanks for your time and any advice is helpful. have a good one.

2001 honda cbr runs rich, pure gasoline in exhaust [/align][hr]

Hey guys, im new to this whole forum thing I could really use some advice. I have a 2001 honda cbr f4i with aftermarket exhaust and a powercommander. a few days ago i put a bottle of fuel injector cleaner into my full gas tank (like an idiot) ust in spite of wanting to see if I could get any performance out of it. I drove about 130 miles and refilled my gas tank. About 20 minutes after my refill i found myself on the side of the road watching gasoline pour out of where the exhuast pipe attaches to the slip-on. I trailered it home and check out the air filter, emptied the exhaust and took all of the gas out of the gas tank and let the bike run dry. I put about a 1/2 gallon of regular in and it was running like a dream. Once i got to the gas station i only put plus in cuz i was afraid there still might be some injector cleaner in the system. after leaving th egas station i once again pulled over and watched the gasoline pour out the bottom of the exhaust.

when i got home i did it all again and found out my oil was 50/50 of gasoline and oil and was no thicker than water. I dont know how or why this is happening, but I know it has to do with the injectr cleaner.

Any advice is helpful, im thinking the injector cleaner ate thro seals? burned a valve? I'm going to change the plugs and see if that will help. perhaps a cylinder isnt working and spitting gasoline out?

thanks alot for taking the time to help me out guys.

~aL[/align][/align]Re: 2001 honda cbr runs rich, pure gasoline in exhaust
[hr]

In order for that much gas to be gettin by, you must not be firing on all cylinders. Sounds pretty strange, but my guess would be that you might be running on 2 or 3 cylinders, and the cylinder(or 2) that isn't firing is just pushing the unburnt fuel into the exhaust. Huh......[/align][/align]Re: 2001 honda cbr runs rich, pure gasoline in exhaust
[hr]

"I have a 2002 F4I completely stock with only 2200 miles on it. As you can see it is not ridden much. Went for a ride and it started hesitating and was blowing out smoke.(blueish it think) It was burning through a tank of gas in like 7 miles, then when I stopped it cut off and could not get it started again. Had it towed home. I found the oil was full of gas, after sitting for a while it would start again, but run like crap and keep shutting off. I pulled the plugs and all seemed evenly fouled (smelled like gas) and were black- I pulled the injector rail and cranked it, all 4 seem to spritz fuel evenly ( non seemed stuck opened) - I cleaned the plugs and put them back in, ran the bike for a few minuites and pulled the plugs out, black and smelled like gas. I didnt want to buy new plugs and change the oil yet until I found out what was causing the problem, due to the same thing happening and wasting like $75. - Their are no indicator lights on the dash suggesting any problems -- any suggestions on what to try next or what is causing this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Charles"

looks like im not the only one with this problem.[/align][/align][/align]

Old 06-19-2007, 02:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: PLEASE HELP: F4i INJECTION PROBLEMS

sounds like it's time for a leak down/compression test.

Old 06-19-2007, 04:24 PM

Sounds like the injector cleaner dislodged something and got it wedged in a injector. Once your pump starts up its just flooding the bike with fuel, first that causes cylinder wash, which is also how you're getting gas in your oil, then all the extra fuel is coming pouring out the exhaust. Pull everything down to the injectors and see what's going on.

Old 06-19-2007, 05:45 PM
Banned

Sounds like a plan. The injectors are right underneath the airbox so that shouldnt be too hard. Hopefully I can test them out and start the bike to see if one if getting stuck open. Thanks for the reply, keep em coming.[sm=WTFsgign.gif]

Old 06-20-2007, 01:35 PM
Banned

i pulled everything down to the injectors and when i opened the throttle and flashed a light down it looks like the 1st cylinder hascarbon buildupand it still wet with some gasoline residue.My spark plugs ARE black, but the bike starts up. It always has started up so I'm gettin the plugs today, putting them in, and then changing the oil. Hopefully i didnt burn a valve seal, but I think thats the worst case scenario. The fuel injectors looked ok, but I will crank the bike and see if one sprays alot more than the others. Ill keep you guys updated... thanks again.

Old 06-25-2007, 01:44 PM
Banned

i replaced the plugs and still no dice.[:@] I read about a pressure regulator doin the same thing so thats next on my list, then fuel injectors. any other suggestions?

Old 06-26-2007, 03:34 PM

ya I got an idea... cash in on that insurance. I'm sure the people that stole mine wouldn't have a problem taking yours...lol ofcourse u'll probably get yours back like I did. In worse shape that it left in! Na but serious brutha good luck with that and i'm still working on my monstrasity.

Old 06-26-2007, 04:17 PM
Banned

hahaha yeait could havecrossed my mind. I have faith in this fuel pressure regulator tho. I just got it today and im sittin at work itchin to get the eff outta here so i can ride. i checked out every forum involving a bad fpr and they had the same symptoms.

whats goin on with your bike

Old 07-02-2007, 09:03 AM
Banned

[:@][:'(][:@][:'(][:@][:'(]Well the injector cleaner did absolutely nothing but mess with the power commander. Apparently after I relaced everything that has to do with fuel, all i really had to do was unplug the power commander. I only spent about 200 on parts and i can resell them, but it was a waste of my time.Since the power commander learns, the fuel was being dumped to try to compensate for the rich mixture that used to be in the tank. That is why when i drove about 100 miles and refilled on premium the bike broke down and ran like ****. Thanks for everyones advice.

Old 07-02-2007, 06:24 PM

so the power commander was just making it run crazy rich? i wonder why only one cylinder was full of fuel. it looks like you figured it out, but just in case you didnt...

this may be different from the rr and the f4i, but aren't there two sets of injectors, the 4 in the airbox and 4 more in the throttle body?

on my nissan truck, when i only had half compression on one of my cylinders, it still ran relatively fine, and just smelled like it was running rich. granted, this isn't a nissan, but it sounds like fuel is absolutely being dumped in. correct me if i'm wrong, but wouldn't you have to have a massive compression loss for the engine to just pour out raw fuel? and when i say massive, i mean like a hole in a piston or something?

have you verified that your injectors are good and that #1 injector isn't peeing or stuck open, or maybe has a bad seal? maybe the fuel system cleaner you used dissolved a fuel injector o-ring or something? what cleaner did you use, exactly? i ask, because it would seem that if the fuel pressure regulator was stuck shut (if that's what pressurizes the system), all cylinders would be affected.

if any of my logic is in error, i know you guys will let me know, but i think you ought to be looking at an injector.