General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plastic Bonding!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 10:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plastic Bonding!!!

Anyone know of a good plastic bond or hardener preferably black in colour that will keep my front fairing panel in splitting, about 1-1" inch long.

Cant get into the back of the plastic to add adhesive so needs to be for the front.

Thanks in advance

Old 01-16-2008, 01:46 PM
Default RE: Plastic Bonding!!!

i think its tpmo plastic or something like that the body is. goto a auto paint supply store and get some like epoxy designed for that type of plastic.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:52 PM

i'm just about to try stitch welding... with copper wire... i'm gonna melt it into the plastic a bit.... i guess we'll see how it works... most of that epoxy and stuff isn't a long term solution. I'm hoping this is... and i hear fiberglass works well but its a real mess

Old 01-16-2008, 03:03 PM

Go to an auto parts store that carries a LARGE selection of autobody supplies. You should find some stiched backing for reinforcement and two part repair materials.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:35 PM

I have tried many types of the epoxy for the fairings, autozone carries some stuff called plastic weld. it comes in a couple of different variations, measured by holding power and what it will bond. the trick is that you have to get the right epoxy for the right plastic. most of the fairings and stuff now are ABS, and the rest of the plastic on the bike is PP (poly propelyne i think) Usually somewhere on the plastic mold, it will have either ABS, PP, or some other designation of what type of plastic it is. The epoxy package will say if its good for ABS, use it. It is very, very strong, but not flexible. I have yet to find anything available at a local shop that will bond PP.