General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

petroleum vs synthetic motorcycle oils

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 12:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default petroleum vs synthetic motorcycle oils

ive been researching specific and non specific oils and came across this easy to understand article. now i understand the time tested oil questions and maybe it will help others looking for answers since opinions are like assh..es, everybodys got one. take from it what you will. ive used Spectro Golden, Mobil 1, and the last change i used Amsoil. after the Amsoil 10w40, i noticed a tremendous smoothness to my shifting. what the article is wrong about is the suggestion that Amsoil is the cheapest. the article is def old. as of now, its the most expensive oil ive ever purchased at 11.55qt. believe me, it was very diff to get over the price, but can justify it by my personal experience. the guy doesnt work for them either. it wasnt about Amsoil, but i bought some today and feel better about it lol WEIRD!!!
http://www.post610.org/truth_about_motorcycle_oils.htm

Last edited by mjp94cbr100f; 02-08-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:12 PM

$11 a quart? LOL! What are you complaining about? It's almost $20 in Canada. Actually $11 is probably the cheapest synthetic motorcycle oil you can find here

Sorry, I just thought that was funny.....please continue good sir.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:46 PM

Amsoil the company, is in Northern Wisconsin and im at the border. i had no idea it could be more than what i paid. it took me at least an hour to find a dealer to buy it from on line. it was so difficult, i almost gave up. if Shell Rotella T6 synthetic was avail here in 10W40, and not the 5W40 for the $21gal, i would have bought it.
so is the job pay 2X's the rate in Canada than it is in the USA? the ony thing i know is i dont buy anything from Canada cause of the shipping cost.
funny over 170 members read this thread, Maverick is the only post.
i thought the article was educational, and ive been thinking about this oil dilemma for years and i know anyone who owns a bike has thought about it. maybe ill just stop starting threads that i thought were helpful. isnt that what this forum is partially about?
i do realize its a subject thats probably worn out its welome.

Last edited by mjp94cbr100f; 02-05-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:23 PM

It must be those brutal winters up north that make it so expensive up there.
mjp, if you think $11 a quart for full synthetic is expensive, you might want to use standard oil, or find a hobby that doesn't require engine oil. The local motorcycle shop here in Nashville sells Amsoil for $14 a quart and while I got a better rate because I am friends with a local independent dealer, I still paid $10 a quart for it from him.
Any other synthetic oil that is worth a damn is going to be just as expensive, including:
Motul
Mobil 1
Repsol

Even conventional oil is gotten north of $5 per quart.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:26 PM

I use Redline synthetic motorcycle oil. Its rated good so I thought why not?

Old 02-05-2013, 06:15 PM
Default +

i still have dino oil i paid $.99 cents for my cars before i switched to full synthetic for the winter months.
hey Mike, yeah i know. Mobil 1 motorcycle oil is $8.99qt here and i have it in my air cooled Yamaha 1100, but Amsoil seemed much better in the Honda. never used it in the Yamaha.
im going to join the "preffered customer" program with Amsoil and ill have to pick it up for $8.66qt before i need to get more.
Maverick, i have'nt seen Redline oils here in the midwest. id say any oil that u feel the trans shift smoother is the one to stick with thats somewhat reasonable in cost. now i know thanx to u guys, $11 is reasonable.
thats my theory and experience anyway
Max

Last edited by mjp94cbr100f; 02-05-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:48 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mjp94cbr100f
Amsoil the company, is in Northern Wisconsin and im at the border. i had no idea it could be more than what i paid. it took me at least an hour to find a dealer to buy it from on line. it was so difficult, i almost gave up. if Shell Rotella T6 synthetic was avail here in 10W40, and not the 5W40 for the $21gal, i would have bought it.
so is the job pay 2X's the rate in Canada than it is in the USA? the ony thing i know is i dont buy anything from Canada cause of the shipping cost.
funny over 170 members read this thread, Maverick is the only post.
i thought the article was educational, and ive been thinking about this oil dilemma for years and i know anyone who owns a bike has thought about it. maybe ill just stop starting threads that i thought were helpful. isnt that what this forum is partially about?
i do realize its a subject thats probably worn out its welome.

You could have gotten the Rotella T6 in 5W40. Nothing wrong with running that oil in place of 10W40 at all, and it's less than half the cost of amsoil.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:10 AM

i wasnt sure about the 5W's addional additives in the synthetic formula, so i referred back to the dino statement that says 10W, 20W formulas dont have moly or energy saving additives. if you have used Rotella T6 5W40 and it wasnt an issue, i will get some. there are so many diff oil vicosities, just thought id go with what worked b4. the new oils were'nt avail when these bikes were built, so the fsm only has 10W40 as a suggested normal use and 10W30 20W40 and 20W50 for appropriate temps.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:47 AM

Is petroleum the same as mineral oil?

I have been looking for a new oil for mine since my favorite shell advance isn't available anymore for some reason. I tried some mineral oil(forgot thename) but the gear shifts were not great, now I'm running a semi-synthetic (Castrol)but it seems to burn though it and shifts are a little better, but still not great.

I'll have a look for Amsoil because I'm too tight to spend the money on rotella LOL

Last edited by RedBaron; 02-10-2013 at 05:53 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-07-2013, 10:07 AM
Default +

petroleum oil is aka dino oil. processed crude oil from the earth. imo, its fine for some applications, but if ur **** about ur bike, synthetic specific motorcycle oil is formulated for the high revs and wet clutches of bikes.
to have ur trans shifting smoothly, i found Amsoil the best with a noticable improvement. it is $11.55qt but i have it in my bike and i love it.
Shell Rotella T6 5W40 full synthetic, avail at Walmart for $21ga,l isnt motorcycle specific but is used by members here without any clutch slippage from what ive read. if ur trans will shift smoother, i dont know since i have'nt used it yet.
its always a personal and $ choice, but ill guarantee improved shifting with Amsoil 10W40 and if u can part with cash, try it. u wont regret the $ spent.

Quick Reply: petroleum vs synthetic motorcycle oils