General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting Rims

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 12:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting Rims

Has anyone on here attempted to paint their rims, or is it something better left to the pros? I wanted to paint a thin bead (for lack of a better word) around the rims...not the entire rim. Not sure if I'm making sense but it was just a thought. If anyone could post pics of this to help me get a better idea it would be apprecieated.
Any advice on type of paint and/or how to do it would be great as well!

Thanks a bunch!

Old 06-08-2006, 03:29 PM
Default RE: Painting Rims

Are you trying to get that rim stripe like on the MotoGP bikes? If so, why don't you look into some rim tape. That's what I'm probably gonna do. It's not as nice as having it painted, but I think it'll do the job and I've asked others on the forum who have it and they're happy with the results. Painting is probably doable yourself, it'll just be a lot of work if you want it to look really nice. You'll want to take the wheels off the bike, and then the tires off the wheels. Then you'll have to tape up the parts you don't wanna get paint on. Clean & polish off the section you want to paint and then actually do the painting. Not sure what kinda paint is good, but any automotive spray paint should work.

Old 06-08-2006, 04:14 PM

Yes, thats the look I was going for....I never knew you could use tape. I'm an idiot I know but is their a special tape for this?

Old 06-08-2006, 04:15 PM

Check eBay, just run a search for wheel/rim tape

Old 06-08-2006, 07:54 PM

final question is do you think red rim tape would look silly on a silver/black f4i? I was thinking of trying it because the "i" is red and it would make the bike a little different, just dont want it to look bad.

Old 06-08-2006, 08:08 PM

Post a pic of your bike, I'll be able to give you an honest opinion when I see what it looks like.

I've got an all black with tribal decals and I just bought some reflective red tape. There's a bit of red on my bike from the other honda decals and my riding gear has red so mine should look pretty tricked out when I get them put on.

Old 06-08-2006, 09:44 PM

Well I don't have a digital camera and haven't been able to take any pics yet...I just got the bike 2 weeks ago. It is basically a stock 2001 F4i (silver and black). However I will be putting on a dark smoke DB windscreen and a carbon fiber pipe in the next little while as well as flush mount turn signals. Wish I had a pic to post sorry.

Best I can do is this...not my bike...but pretty much Identical to this....
Silver/Black F4i

Old 06-09-2006, 01:59 AM

Red might work, there isn't much red on the bike though. What colour's your gear? Silver would be pretty good too, especially a reflective silver.

Old 06-12-2006, 06:33 AM
Old 06-28-2006, 12:37 AM

I guess I kida lucked out with my bike (just got it on Friday) cause it has my color alreay painted on the rims.
See them here

Not I just need to figure out what to do for the rest of the body once I get my new plastics.

Quick Reply: Painting Rims