General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting Plastics : Krylon Fusion??

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 10:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Painting Plastics : Krylon Fusion??

Has anyone used Krylon Fusion to spray bomb their plastics?

If so, how does it hold up? Any flaking or other problems? Any pics?

Old 01-28-2011, 02:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nowensby
Has anyone used Krylon Fusion to spray bomb their plastics?

If so, how does it hold up? Any flaking or other problems? Any pics?
I've only used duplicolor. Not sure about that brand. If its cheaper stay away from it. Don't skimp on paint.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:55 PM

http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion_for_plastic/

~$4-7 per can... made to adhere to plastic. Not really a cheap brand...

Old 01-28-2011, 03:10 PM

probably fine then, does it have a wide spray tip? Thats a big thing too. It helps a lot.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:41 PM

I believe that stuff is designed to go directly onto plastic. Your plastics, (fairing) are made of plastic, but are also already coated with primer and paint, so your not going directly onto plastic. I don't think it has a very nice finish.

If your planning on taking the fairings down to the plastic, I'd suggest not doing it. If you break through the top layer of the plastic, you will have a very hard time getting anything to stick to it without having it react in a bad way.

I think your best bet if your using spray cans is to use dupli-color like suggested by Dissevered, or go to an paint shop and have some cans made up.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by justasquid
I believe that stuff is designed to go directly onto plastic. Your plastics, (fairing) are made of plastic, but are also already coated with primer and paint, so your not going directly onto plastic. I don't think it has a very nice finish.

If your planning on taking the fairings down to the plastic, I'd suggest not doing it. If you break through the top layer of the plastic, you will have a very hard time getting anything to stick to it without having it react in a bad way.

I think your best bet if your using spray cans is to use dupli-color like suggested by Dissevered, or go to an paint shop and have some cans made up.
Yeah, after walking away and thinking about the whole plastic paint thing, I thought it may be a bad idea. Then again I never tried it. I do know the old school primer/paint/clear coat method DOES work so I can't really suggest you do anything other than that.

Some little rules to follow though are these...

1. use quality paint with the nice wide fan tips (or a real spray gun)
2. PREP... everything is in your prep. Sand well, take your time, and CLEAN VERY WELL.
3. You only need to primer a none painted surface. No need to primer if you are changing colors. However if you are doing body work and have hit plastic or used glue or resin to fix fairings, you need primer
4. when painting, take your time. if you rush, your paint will run.
5. last tip is that if you EVER plan on painting more than once. Go find a used air compressor that has enough air flow, and a spray gun. Doing this right with paint cans requires a lot more cans than you think.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:10 PM

here's a temp matte black until I get the time to hook my real paint up... Rustoleum camo black

Name:  a017d3c3.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  5.9 KB

Old 01-28-2011, 10:15 PM

I was actually thinking about going with a Satin Burgundy color... I really like the way satin looks, but am afraid of not clearing the gas tank for obvious reasons...

Have you had any issue with your gas tank? ...or was it not sprayed flat like the rest?

Old 01-28-2011, 11:39 PM

its actually not sprayed yet, a single drop of gas on this stuff will just f everything up. I probably do it with the same paint but just be very careful when filling up

Old 01-29-2011, 02:52 PM

I was actually thinking about going with a Satin Burgundy color... I really like the way satin looks, but am afraid of not clearing the gas tank for obvious reasons...
Just use a flat clear over everything. You will get the clear coat protection with a flat finish.

Quick Reply: Painting Plastics : Krylon Fusion??