General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oxford heated grips

Old 12-01-2013, 02:07 PM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oxford heated grips

Hi, I have bought some oxford heated grips for my 1998 cbr600 Fw. Question is, should I wire them direct to battery? My alternative is wire the neg to the battery and the live via the ignition fuse? If I choose the later, what size piggy back fuse do I need?

Old 12-03-2013, 09:51 AM

Ever never directly from the battery. You forget them on soner or later.

I ride wintertime my CBR and all my bikes where I use warmers I have thief directly from lights, killer, fan etc etc, whereever where the electrics is off when I turn of the key. I use extra a 10 amp fuse.
Neg. I take somewhere near(not the long way to the battery)

Also, I dont like the fat warmers like Oxfords. last one I.....CBR 600 vinterklar

Old 12-03-2013, 10:21 AM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You actually want to wire directly to the battery, but with a 'safety' in place. You don't want to tap power from the bikes circuitry, as the stock harness isn't designed to take the current of the warms, plus whatever it was running before. Your best bet is to use a relay. I did up a diagram for someone last year...

This way you draw (fused!!!) power from the battery, but if you leave it on, the heaters won't drain your battery once you shut the bike off.

Remember to make sure your charging system is in tip top shape before using heated grips...

Old 12-03-2013, 04:34 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

Corrupt file is correct. ALWAYS install a relay when fitting heated grips otherwise you WILL leave them on and drain your battery, the very last thing you want to happen when it's cold and you need to get home.
I am about to install some new Oxfords. Personally I really like the wider diameter grips. Having had a set on my previous CBR I have missed the feel of them.
The only thing I don't like about them is the stupid 'glove friendly' buttons. Not sure what kind of gloves they used when formulating that statement but they sure weren't winter riding gloves. The buttons are too flush and with decent insulated gloves they are a PITA to use easily.
Once I've got the bar muffs on I don't really need to turn them on anyway unless the temps go below freezing. Insulation from the cold wind is a better form of protection and warmth any day.

Old 12-24-2013, 02:41 AM

I donīt think even the Honda original heaters has a relay. I have never used a relay on my heaters(have fitted about 30-40 of them. (still...itīs Always not wrong to use a relay)

Heaters use only maximum about 35-40w, I use on my old CBR handheaters(connecyed to harness), handheaters in my shoes, Electric visor and also one handheater in my helmet.....no problem.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:38 AM

i wired mine to my tail light circuit with a 5A inline fuse, never had any issues with them. But if i were to do it again, id go with heated gloves instead.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:33 PM
Senior Member and ROTM March 2014

Originally Posted by sjona2011
i wired mine to my tail light circuit with a 5A inline fuse, never had any issues with them. But if i were to do it again, id go with heated gloves instead.
This, times 10^9. Bar heat only heats the inside of your hand. The outside of your hand is what needs the heat.

I put a custom wired panel into my toolbox wherein direct current from the battery is relay switched for appliances like USB power for the phone and bar heat. If I had to do it again I'd simply wire up a connector to the left or right handle and buy heated gloves.

Also, my Oxfords were probably sitting in the window of some warehouse for 10 years as every plastic piece on them immediately broke or deformed. I am not pleased with the Oxford kit and wouldn't do it again.

Last edited by FOGeologist; 12-29-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:56 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

I'm a little late with this update but having fitted my new Oxford grips before Christmas I must tell you that they now have a very smart control system that makes connecting them straight across the battery almost preferable to using a relay. The controller senses when there is no battery activity and puts the heaters into standby mode. After about a minute the system shuts off completely. It's an obvious but very clever solution and seems to have been engineered into the new models of grips very neatly.
There is nothing else on the market made to such a high quality IMO.
Even though I've wired mine to an auxiliary fuse board controlled by an ignition switched relay the circuitry will still be active should I mysteriously leave the grips on and ignition on without the engine running.
As far as Winter protection goes I always ride with bar muffs when the weather gets really cold. The heated grips work really well in an enclosed environment and aren't needed that often (hopefully). The larger grip diameter is another big plus for my comfort.
Sorry to hear about your bad experience of Oxford gear FOG. Cant you take your fallen apart bits back to the shop?

Happy new year

H

Old 12-30-2013, 09:03 PM
Senior Member and ROTM March 2014

Originally Posted by HenryM
snip

Sorry to hear about your bad experience of Oxford gear FOG. Cant you take your fallen apart bits back to the shop?

Happy new year

H
Happy New Year, Henry!

I can't remember where I got them - the control panel has decided to warp like it was exposed to microwaves or something. It's come off a couple of times and I've tried to glue the little ****** down. It looks like crap. I don't remember who I bought them from, and they're working well, so I'm not inclined to mess with the system until they don't function at all.

I honestly wish I'd gone with heated gloves instead.

Old 12-31-2013, 04:51 AM
July 2014 ROTM
Thumbs up Grips to battery :-)

Hi,
We have just fitted the new Oxford grips to Heathers CBR600F. Took the simple option of wiring direct to the battery as they now have the 'intelligent' option of shutting off when the voltage drops.
I had Hein Gerickes on my CBR1000F, again wired direct to battery, and the only issue I had was the winter glove unfriendly buttons.

IMO if you can afford heated gloves get them but they are a hassle to plug in each time. I will be fitting heated grips some time soon, after I have saved after buying these....:-)

Happy New Year to Everyone

Attached Thumbnails Oxford heated grips-pc290019.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oxford heated grips