General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 01:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating

Ok, I have some specifics for all you tech gurus...

First, the bike is a 1999 F4 with 14,500 miles.

I took the bike out for a hard run on Sunday and an easy run on Monday without any problems (both highway and city riding). Temperatures in the 70-80 range.

Today, I was cruising along at about 5K rpms and noticed the temp gauge pinned up by the H. The bike wasn't running any differently. I immediately pulled over, but before I could stop the temp gauge returned to normal. So, I continued back onto the highway, only to have the temp gauge cycle back to H (for a LONG minute or two tops) and return to normal two separate times. Outside temps around 65.

I arrived at my destination and let the bike idle to see what it would do. The temperature rose and the fan kicked on for about 15 seconds before shutting off. The temperature continued to rise to the H and I shut her off. I could hear the coolant gurgling. I was able to start her up several times afterward only to have the same thing happen, but nothing changed as far as how she ran. Also, no coolant had come out of the overflow.

I've deducted that it can't be the fan (I was overheating at speed) or the sensor (the coolant was gurgling). I think I have an idea, but I want to hear others first.

Anybody?

Old 04-25-2007, 03:29 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy
Default RE: Overheating

bad thermostat maybe ?

Old 04-25-2007, 03:38 AM

I think you're fine.

It sounds like the cooling system is working. You're not overheating. The gauge is going to go to H when you're not riding on the freeway.

Old 04-25-2007, 03:41 AM

how can he be fine if the needle in pinning @ the H , he can hear the coolant gurgling ? that sounds like he has some type of problem

Old 04-25-2007, 03:52 AM

ORIGINAL: HAVOC

bad thermostat maybe ?
I concur. I think I'll be doing this...but first flushing and replacing the cap to see if it helps.

Diagnosing it like a car (what I pretend to know something about), it would be the thermostat sticking.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:09 AM

ORIGINAL: hill1513

ORIGINAL: HAVOC

bad thermostat maybe ?
I concur. I think I'll be doing this...but first flushing and replacing the cap to see if it helps.

Diagnosing it like a car (what I pretend to know something about), it would be the thermostat sticking.
thats what i did hope that fixes it

Old 04-25-2007, 01:00 PM

Well, it could be as simple as air in the system. Or, you could have blocked cooling passages or debris in the cooling fins of the radiator. Or (more serious but fixable)your water pump could be defective. Flush your cooling system out and put new antifreeze/coolant with a 50/50 mix of water. Make sure you get coolant that is safe for aluminum radiators. Then let us know how you made out.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Quagmire
Make sure you get coolant that is safe for aluminum radiators. Then let us know how you made out.
Quag...considered yourself warned for not staying on topic. Whether the OP likes to make out with girls, little girls, boys, etc. has nothing to do with this thread. Please refrain from such statements.

Thanks.

Old 04-26-2007, 11:50 AM

ORIGINAL: Tahoe SC

Make sure you get coolant that is safe for aluminum radiators. Then let us know how you made out.
Quag...considered yourself warned for not staying on topic. Whether the OP likes to make out with girls, little girls, boys, etc. has nothing to do with this thread. Please refrain from such statements.

Thanks.
HAHAHAHA! Yeah, I'd do the thermostat test. Boil yaself some water and go to town!

Old 04-26-2007, 11:21 PM

ORIGINAL: Tahoe SC

Thanks.
Uhhhh.....OH! I get it!!! It took me a while to figure that one out Tahoe. But when it hit....I was drinking milk and it actually came out my freakin' nose. STOP, STOP...you're killing me. Sssnnnooooorrrrttttt

Quick Reply: Overheating