General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheated :O

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 10:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheated :O

My bike overheated right when I got to skool today. IDK why, its the first time it started. I check the coolent overflow and it doesn't have much coolent in there, about 1/4 filled. I dont think that is the problem. Check to see if the oil drain bolt fell out and I dumped all my oil but its all still there. I'm thinking my water pump could be going bad. Its been hitting 100+ in Louisiana lately. Is there an easy way to check my water pump? I'm at skool right now and cant check the manual. Any suggestions?

Edit: It didn't hit the top of the temp. It was about 3/4 the way up. It bogged down and died. Could something else could be causing this?

Old 08-27-2007, 11:02 AM
Default RE: Overheated :O

Also, wasn't sitting in traffic and the fan did come on.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:08 AM
Mad

A friend had the same problem. He found a good deal on a radiator and bought a new one. Point being check that radiator then the pump.

Old 08-27-2007, 12:15 PM

If you were just riding and not sitting in traffic and the guage went to 3/4 I would say something is wrong for sure. Coolant missing is also bad and could be a sign of head gasket failure or a crack somehwere. If the coolant is still where it was the last time you looked, I'd say thermostat problem or blockage in the radiator.

Old 08-27-2007, 12:23 PM

No coolent drained out. I've just been letting it sit low because I planned on flushing the fluid. I just never got around to it. I'm thinking it may be blockage because before this it was fine and I went to florda for a week and it sat. The coolent looks kinda old.

Old 08-27-2007, 12:44 PM

Water pump failure? VERY unlikely. You say that it was 1/4 filled (meaning 1/4 of the way to the line?), which means when it cools down, the res is empty... meaning air travels back into radiator where it can make it's way into the engine... fill it up.

Old 08-27-2007, 02:17 PM

Hopefully its just that. I'm going to change my oil today also. I doubt there should be any coolent in the oil meaning there no cracks in my line. No light smoke has been coming out my exhaust. Hopefully nothing could have been damaged and its just because I've neglicated to do my flush project.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:40 PM

Also you can check to make sure the rad cap is holding pressure. You can also pull the tstat and test it.

I dont know what radiator setup is on your bike, but if the rad cap is on the opposite side of your kickstand you can take the cap off (while cold) and start the engine. Rev it a few times and then squeeze the rad hoses to help air come out. Fill up the resevior where it needs to be.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:14 AM

top it off and you will be fine. sportbikes rarely have trouble with cooling. dirtbikes are a little worse off becasue they get pelted with all kinds of objects. check your hoses, radiator, cap, etc; flush the system, and fill her up.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:57 AM

I flushed my coolent. I put 3 bottles of waterwetter and the rest distilled water. It still over heating.

Quick Reply: Overheated :O