General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which oil to use!??

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 12:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which oil to use!??

Repsol 10W-40 Synthetic

Old 05-01-2008, 08:21 AM
Default RE: Which oil to use!?? UPDATE

Update-

This outta make some of you wonder...

Talked with the mechanics at Honda yesterday, asking this same question.

They all said use NO SYNTHETIC on these motors!!!

Syn oil works WAY TOO WELL and since the 600 motor uses the same oil for the clutch assembly, the oil causes the clutch to slip after a while- which as we know leads to clutch failure after time. One mechanic said "doubt me if you want, but read up on it like my other friends have and they you will see its true."

He runs full syn in his dirtbike, but its clutch uses its own oil, apart from the motor.

They stated that even semi-syn will eventually cause slipping.

PLUS one mechanic said he changed his oil (in the sportbike) every 1500miles to ensure cooler run temp andsmoother operation during high rpms.

THus, I changed yesterday with Honda gpm4 (think that was it, Im at work and cant quite recall). I will change every 1500 since I am a sucker for taking extreme care of things!

Let the comments rain on whether you agree or disagree!! (Doesnt bother me anyways!)

Old 05-01-2008, 08:31 AM

ORIGINAL: egdcbr600rr

Update-

Syn oil works WAY TOO WELL and since the 600 motor uses the same oil for the clutch assembly, the oil causes the clutch to slip after a while- which as we know leads to clutch failure after time. One mechanic said "doubt me if you want, but read up on it like my other friends have and they you will see its true."

He runs full syn in his dirtbike, but its clutch uses its own oil, apart from the motor.

PLUS one mechanic said he changed his oil (in the sportbike) every 1500miles to ensure cooler run temp andsmoother operation during high rpms.

THus, I changed yesterday with Honda gpm4 (think that was it, Im at work and cant quite recall). I will change every 1500 since I am a sucker for taking extreme care of things!

Let the comments rain on whether you agree or disagree!! (Doesnt bother me anyways!)
Im a tech and they are idiots..If you use CERTAIN synthetics it can cause clutch issues.Thirdgen has 120k+ miles using synthetic on his and is still on his original clutch (cbr f4i).

But using a synthetic does not cause issues unless 1) put it in to soon 2) use the wrong type.

Plus if it was bad for a engine,why would honda make a blend(hp4) and a full synthetic (hp4s) for our bikes?

Old 05-01-2008, 09:08 AM

ORIGINAL: white99gt

Update-

Im a tech and they are idiots..If you use CERTAIN synthetics it can cause clutch issues.Thirdgen has 120k+ miles using synthetic on his and is still on his original clutch (cbr f4i).

But using a synthetic does not cause issues unless 1) put it in to soon 2) use the wrong type.

Plus if it was bad for a engine,why would honda make a blend(hp4) and a full synthetic (hp4s) for our bikes?
BIG +1 on that....

Old 05-01-2008, 09:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put in the Rotella (blue jug) This last oil change. Loving it so far. And the syns that cause problems are the ones with moly in em, which are mostly auto blends.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:18 AM

wow...i would recommend that you stop taking your bike to those mechanics. it's up to you if you want to listen to them...but if i were you i'd do more research because they and you are both on the wrong track and misled with horrible information.

1500 OCI? just lame...he should send his oil off to blackstone and see what's happening with his oil at 1500...then he should tell honda to stop making synthetic oil for their sportbikes.

molybednum is what causes slippage not synthetic oil...too much of it is very bad for the clutch, but all oils have a small amount in it.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:51 PM

Update-

How do people like this get jobs at dealerships? WTF?

Also in reference to using syth from the start, here is food for thought..... The following come with Synth from the factory....
[*]Acura RDX[*]Aston Martin[*]All Bentley Vehicles[*]All Cadillac Vehicles[*]Chevrolet Corvette C6 and Z06[*]Chevrolet TrailBlazer SS[*]Chrysler 300C SRT-8[*]Cobalt SS S/C Coupe[*]Dodge Caliber SRT-4, Charger SRT-8, and Magnum SRT-8[*]Jeep Cherokee SRT-8[*]Mercedes-Benz AMG Vehicles[*]Mercedes SLR[*]Mitsubishi Evolution[*]Pontiac Solstice GXP[*]All Porsche Vehicles[*]Saturn Ion Red Line and Saturn Sky Red Line[*]Viper SRT-10

Old 05-01-2008, 05:33 PM

I see what your point is TBFG, but Im talking in regards to motos- not cars...

Bike oil needs anti-shear compounds in it, cars dont...thus the reason cars can run syn so easily

Old 05-01-2008, 05:42 PM

take it to BITOG forum...and clear the air....

Old 05-01-2008, 07:57 PM

I see what your point is TBFG, but Im talking in regards to motos- not cars...

Bike oil needs anti-shear compounds in it, cars dont...thus the reason cars can run syn so easily
Anti shear compounds? All oil has these compounds in it,not just bike oil.Actually some bike oils have a tad more zinc in them to help wear but not enough to matter between cetain car oils and bike oils.

Car oils usually have (more than typical bike oils )moly in them which is the compound that hurts the wet clutches in our bikes.

Like i posted before thirdgen has been using CAR OIL (mobile 1) and has 120k+ miles on his bike and original clutch parts.

Here is a MOTORCYCLE oil test..Read it http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2156.pdf