General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil spilled after crash. crankcase drain bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 07:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil spilled after crash. crankcase drain bolt?

i hit in to the back of a car that ran a red light and cut me off last week i was doing 50 and my bike flipped and went sliding for hundreds off ft. it mostly cosmetic damage but there is oil coming out from near the crankcase bolt. i am not exactly sure where from down there it came out. my bother said it was a small hole and he was going to put some high temp sealer on it or something. is it possible its the drain bolt? if it is how bad is it if he already has sealed it? and its more of a spill then a leak. most came out on the road. thanks

Old 08-08-2007, 12:51 PM
Default RE: oil spilled after crash. crankcase drain bolt?

Take a pic of the hole so I can see what your talking about. Maybe you just cracked one of the covers.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:02 PM
Banned

First off, Glad you are well enough to type. Second, I had a leak on an old ford oil pan near a spot weld. I used some kind of epoxy and it lasted for 80,000 miles. If you can easily inspect it for leaks, you may not have really fix it. As far as the drain bolt, my guess is no (unless it loosened and spun off during the crash, doubtful at best), probably somewhere close to it, but that bolt is in there good.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:10 PM

if it slid on the case cover you need to replace the gasket and check the cover itself for cracks, rash, etc
also make sure the bolts on it are all torqued

Old 08-09-2007, 12:59 PM

do you mean the stator cover? if it slid on that? or is there another you are talking about? if its a small hole can i just seal it?

Old 08-09-2007, 01:35 PM

Ok its easier if we can see it to help you. You havent said which side you dumped it on or a location for the hole you have. We arent mind readers. On the matter of sealer on a hole. Bad idea. Sealer does just what it says it seals. It is meant to be used to make gaskets. To solve all your questions just find a camera, take a picture of the hole, and post it. Like they say a picture is worth a million words.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:53 PM

ok i will get a pic as soon as i can. the bike is at my brothers house. and i dont have power at my house right now. it slid on the right side and left. its leaking from the left side though

Old 08-10-2007, 10:48 PM

Stator covers are fairly thin. I shattered mine at 20 mph. But a pic will tell alot more

Old 08-11-2007, 11:07 PM

Side covers are magnesium as well as the oil pan. thats why they shatter easy. Ther is no gasket behined them because Honda uses Hondabond instead of gaskets.

Old 08-14-2007, 01:28 PM

i have talked to my brother and he says its the oil pan. i have not got a chance to get a picture. but if its a simple hole in the oil pan would you recommend replacing or sealing?

Quick Reply: oil spilled after crash. crankcase drain bolt?