General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Change HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 01:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i read it. sounded like he was tightening the plug. also i wasn't trying to sound harsh. just being honest which at times comes across harshly. mechanics are paid well for a reason. not everyone can do their job, or has the knowledge to do it. example. a friend has the same bike as me, and the same education. mechanical engineer. i showed him how to change his oil since he hadn't done it before. it took him two hours to do what I do in about 40 minutes. he still does his own changes, but I don't think he goes any further than that just for fear of messing something up.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, I think he was trying to take the drain plug out to drain the old oil and the plug/bolt-head started to strip on him. Didn't want to come back harsh, but no need to scare off an innocent noob with an legit question..

We're all noobs in the beginning, some of us just have more opportunity to learn early on!

Old 05-28-2009, 03:50 AM

ROFL..that may be it..i forgot to take into account that i am laying down facing up towards it. I'll try it and let you guys know..hahah. Its my first bike and first time doing any maintenance on it..so laugh point whatever..

Old 05-29-2009, 07:15 AM

if you get the plug out Will then remember one thing when putting it back in. you only need to get the plug finger tight. don't take this designation literally though. you need to use a wrench to get the plug snug up against the pan, and then apply little force to lock it in. I also suggest getting the service manual for your bike. I like a hard copy myself, but even a computer file is good.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by King Klong
I also suggest getting the service manual for your bike.
Yea a service manual is invaluable.

Big emphasis on not over-tightening the plug. That's a theme across all bike maintenance. You might want to go down to Autozone or Pep Boys and pick up a $50 torque wrench and become familiar with it. It will be invaluable to you because, as you're seeing now, there's not many things more frustrating that a stripped or snapped bolt due to over-tightening.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:10 PM

2 words..."grab-bit bits". i know they r form infomercials and most of that stuff is junk, but these things r pisser. get it off, and u can buy a new drain plug bolt for like 4 bucks. plus ull need that lil crush washer which is another dollar.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by chuckbear
You're coming off a little harsh there, dude.
+10000000.

I'm willing to bet a significant portion of us learned to fix bikes by first breaking them. Hell, that's how I learned to fix computers, and now I'm the Director of IT.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:18 AM

This could be a lot of things; old owner may have put the plug on cockeyed to begin with, and jammed the threads, it could be corroded, could have been using the wrong socket, or yes, could just be turning the wrong way. I've done it. I've been working on cars for neigh-on 20 years, and I STILL do it (though on rare occasion). Sometimes you get all turned around depending on the angle you're coming at the bolt from.

Quick Reply: Oil Change HELP!!