General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Change HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 12:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change HELP!!

Tried to loosen the drain pan nut, using a 12MM wrench/ratchet thingy..I tried and i tried and it wouldn't budge, then it started to turn, and i think i stripped the nut..any advice or should i take it to some shop for them to change...Thanks in advance!!

Old 05-26-2009, 05:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bummer, did you have the ratchet set for clock wise turn by mistake?.
If not, what makes you think you stripped the nut?, once it loosens, it turns pretty readily (you can turn it by hand), it's the washer & thread that mates with the oil drain hole that tightens it. So with that in mind, does it re tighten?
If your not sure & you think you have stuffed the thread, then taking it to the shop would be a good alternative. BUT!! if it's loose, then riding the bike there is a risk, as the bolt make fall out, drain your bike of oil & either totally stuff the motor or put enough oil on your rear tyre & toss you & the bike down the road.

Last edited by pacemaker; 05-26-2009 at 05:57 AM. Reason: mumble mumble type O
Old 05-26-2009, 06:01 AM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent

Your bike is no good anymore. I'll PM you my address and just ship it to my location along with the title. Afterwards, you'll receive a small $500 dollar disposal fee from me after delivery is complete.

J/K ~ if it is stripped, oil pans can be found cheap on e-Bay

Old 05-26-2009, 06:33 AM

Did you strip the threads or the head of the bolt? If just the head of the bolt then go to Sears and buy the "bolt-out" kit they sell specifically for this situation, and since its Craftsman it comes with a lifetime warrenty.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:06 AM

just the top part of the bolt, i can see it kinda start to deform, and i am pretty sure i am turning it in the right direction...as i am lying down on the right of the bike, i pull the handle towards me..argh..lol

Old 05-27-2009, 04:23 AM

just the top part of the bolt, i can see it kinda start to deform, and i am pretty sure i am turning it in the right direction...as i am lying down on the right of the bike, i pull the handle towards me..argh..lol

If your on the right hand side of the bike with the wrench handle facing downward. What end of the oil pan is the drain plug on?

On my bike, the drain plug is on the front side of the pan,(towards the front wheel) meaning if Im on the right hand side of the bike, I push the wrench to loosen it, not pull it. Make sure your not tightening the bolt, it sounds like you might be.

lefty loosy righty tighty. Or, counter clockwise loosen, clockwise tighten.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:59 AM

get a six point socket on it. make sure you have the right size for the plug. if the right socket wont fit now that it's deformed, bang it on with a hammer. put the ratchet on it and try it out. if that doesn't work, you're going to need a new plug and some help.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:15 AM

this has got to be the simplest maintenance you can do to a bike. remove the fairing, drain the pan, replace the filter, put the plug back in, fill with oil, put the fairing back on. if you can't handle that then I suggest paying to have things done in the future.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by King Klong
this has got to be the simplest maintenance you can do to a bike. remove the fairing, drain the pan, replace the filter, put the plug back in, fill with oil, put the fairing back on. if you can't handle that then I suggest paying to have things done in the future.
In fairness to the OP, his problem sounds like an over-tightened drain plug which caused him to round out the head of the plug and not that he can't grasp the concept of the oil change process. You're coming off a little harsh there, dude.

Perhaps you should read what his problem is before you bash him.

Quick Reply: Oil Change HELP!!