General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil analysis page posted

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 09:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil analysis page posted

If you want to know the real deal on how well oil actually performs then check out this site
http://hooliganbiketech.dynup.net/ho...frameindex.htm
click on the oil anaylsis like.

actual analysis on used motorcycle oil compared to a virgin sample from a third party business whose job is to test these things without any bias

it doesnt matter what your cousins sisters brothers former roomate who used to work for a race team recommends
these numbers dont lie

Old 11-26-2006, 12:00 AM
Default RE: oil analysis page posted

Interesting if you use Mobile1,Repsol or Honda.I use a different oil that isn't covered in those tests.How old was that oil that was tested?,It didn't say,or I didn't see it.I'll stick with my current oil as I've had excellent results with it.I do use Mobile 1 in my car,but thats a whole different kind of engine,used a differnt way.Very interesting reading though....

Old 11-26-2006, 12:13 AM

I did miss the mileage of the used oil on rereading the article and charts,but it's still interesting!

Old 11-26-2006, 05:42 AM

ORIGINAL: Morayman

I do use Mobile 1 in my car,but thats a whole different kind of engine,used a differnt way.
Actually a car's engine isn't very different at all. They're both four stroke engines and the oil is used identically as a lubricant. Th only difference is that the oil in a bike (with a wet clutch) is also used to lubricate the tranny.

I've used Mobil 1 15W50 for almost 100k miles (between this bike and my previoius). Its fine for use in a bike.

Old 11-26-2006, 10:55 AM

There is a difference in using car oil in a bike. If you ask me, it is like cheap insurance.

I use AmSoil in my bike and Mobil 1 in my car. I also switched from Mobil 1 ATF in my Car to AmSoil ATF in my car and DAMN what a difference in the shifting if my car.

Also dude, this is the internet and you cannot be sure that this company is biased or not. There are so many tests out there for oil. I used Moutl 5100 15W-50 for 28,000 miles on my bike back when I beat the **** out of it..Same Compression on all 4 cylinders from when I rebuilt it.

Plus I did not see any other oil than Mobil and Honda. There is a world of other oil out there!

Old 11-27-2006, 12:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so the only difference is cheap insurance?

i've used car dino, car synthetic, motorycle synthetic, motorcycle dino on my bike...split about 50/50 car/bike specific oil over 40K...

how's my engine look? well...it looks great...this is with it opened up, etc...how's it run? it runs great!!! other than the added weight i've put on, the bike is still running super strong...and these are 40K of beat on it miles not panzy putt putt miles.

those pages are very informative, but only to a point. my personal experience tells me just to change the oil regularly...i even used some cheapo valvoline 10/40...what happened? it did it's job...but it did break down much sooner than expected, like around 2500 miles...

someone i know gets his oil tested at blackstone laboratory...his 10R now has over 60K on it and is still running pi$$ strong...and he uses conventional dino oil...10/40, but can't remember brand, could be vavoline too...he runs it pi$$ hard...and the only thing his oil analysis told him was that the oil broke down sooner than expected and if using the same oil, change at 2800...

i'm totally with abad on this one...

Old 11-27-2006, 02:52 PM

Well if you were to read Mobil's website they even explain why to use Motorcycle oils. Amsoil is the same!

Have you ran a compression test or a Leakdown on your engine to verify it's health?

Almost any oil will keep a bike alive, but what will keep it optimal?

abadfish: You are right in that both are Internal Combustion Engines. However the added stress that is put on it from the Transmission can break down a car's oil quickly! Imagine 2800 miles you have to change the oil...okay. But my Amsoil has been tested to run at over 3,000 miles and still not break down.

Also, using a synthetic has shown to improve shifting, cooler engine temps (slightly), and more horsepower! That has been dyno tested here in South Florida at a shop I go to, and the proof was in the numbers! Same Dyno, Same Bike, Same Conditions, different Oil! While it may have only been like 1hp! that is CHEAP horsepower! $48 to change my oil and know that I have gained 1 hp is a great ratio! Almost as good as NO2!

But once again...to each their own.

Old 11-27-2006, 03:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

manufacturers will say this and that to keep the price of the bike oils high...
i have not done a compression test on my motor as of yet. i have no need for it as everything is in working order.

how many have done a leak down test on a motor using moto specific oil when nothing calls for it?!?!

as for riders around me...they have done leak down tests...and have not had any problems attributable to oil...usually from neglect, wheelies, etc. and what not...the ones who run hard on regular oil still show good pressure.

yes, different oils give more HP, read that article...1HP...you will pay more money for 1HP? then you must be super duper racerX guy to need that 1HP...and it ain't cheap HP...do the math...48 bucks versus $22 for the liftime of the bike...that is expensive for 1HP...which will not make you any faster. you aren't racer X...so using 1HP gain to justify your point is overkill.

as far as improved shifting, this and that...i've personally never felt it...other than when the oil started going bad (valvoline dino oil) i had mishifts...some attributed to oil but mostly bad shifting...but know what? run gp shift and kiss it all goodbye...

not all oil will keep a bike alive (cooking oil can't handle the heat), not all oil, even the best, will keep an engine optimal...too many factors involved to make your bike run optimal every single day and every single ride.

point being...use what you will...for years people have been running dino oil and car oil in bikes without any negative impacts. as far as hype or not...i don't see justifying calling a bike oil 'bike oil' because it has 'certain' properties and attributes that 'they' say it has...