General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil in the air intake

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 03:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil in the air intake

Can some one help. I have had my 02 Honda CBR sitting for nearly a year and half, due to deployment to Afghanistan. There were several thing wrong when I returned to start my bike up. The fuel pump gumb up and I replaced it and also repace the Fuel Pressure Regulator. It started right up after a few tries. Then it just shut down with what looks like water and oil mix coming from the engine (not sure where). I pulled the tank off and and air intake assembly off and open the throttle to move the butterfly and notice there is quite a bit of oil in each air intake port. Any (what should I do) suggestion would greatly be apprciated. Oh, by the way I dont have much money, and can not afford a mechanic to look at it at this momment. But I'am fairly good at working on cars. So anything would realy help. Thanks

Old 09-04-2009, 10:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much oil is there?

A little oil in the airbox is quite common. Bikes don't really have a PVC valve like cars, there is just an open port to the crankcase and when your rpms go up, the crankcase pressure goes up and sometimes oil is sucked up into the airbox. There is a baffle that is suppose to catch the oil and prevent it from entering the airbox, but it doesnt catch it all.

So, if its only a little oil, your probably just fine in regards to the oil in the airbox. As for the oil water mix looking stuff.. You'll have to track it down and see where its coming from. there really shouldn't be anything like that.