General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 10:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil

I just bought a used 2009 CBR1000RR. I am uncertain what brand of oil the previous owner used, but it should have only been one oil change after the factory oil because it only has 5k miles on it.

I am looking to use Mobil 1 fully synthetic motorcycle oil (I am told it's the best?) but it only comes in 10w-40. The manual says it requires 10w-30, but 10w-40 is acceptable in certain temperatures. My stupid *** can't understand the chart they have though. I live in PA - during riding season temperatures range from 40° to 100° F and during the winter it gets as cold as 0°, sometimes a bit lower. Will the 10w-40 work / is it recommended? Also, does the Mobil 1 meet the API/JASO standards?

Thanks!

Old 10-24-2011, 10:29 PM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tlarkin530
I just bought a used 2009 CBR1000RR. I am uncertain what brand of oil the previous owner used, but it should have only been one oil change after the factory oil because it only has 5k miles on it.

I am looking to use Mobil 1 fully synthetic motorcycle oil (I am told it's the best?) but it only comes in 10w-40. The manual says it requires 10w-30, but 10w-40 is acceptable in certain temperatures. My stupid *** can't understand the chart they have though. I live in PA - during riding season temperatures range from 40° to 100° F and during the winter it gets as cold as 0°, sometimes a bit lower. Will the 10w-40 work / is it recommended? Also, does the Mobil 1 meet the API/JASO standards?

Thanks!
I recommend Shell Rotella T6 Synthetic 5w-40 (blue bottle)_ about 21 bucks at walmart. The oil is a bit thinner and works great during the summer while not getting thick during the winter for easier starting.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:58 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

I have the same oil and it meets the API reqs. and its JASO-MA2 which from my understanding is preferred for your bike. I would recommend finding an oil that is 10w30 theres a reason thats what they recommend event if it can do others. I heard great things about rotella and amsoil too.bbbbb

Old 10-25-2011, 05:33 AM

From your temperature ranges you quote, it may be better to use a 5W40. I'm sure one is available. Looking at the oil viscosities chart in my Haynes manual, 10W40 could be a little heavy for 0 degrees temperatures. It's ok at the higher end but a 5W40 would circulate better on initial start up, but if you can't find an oil with that viscosity use the 10W40. I wouldn't use a 5W30 as it won't protect your engine at 100 degrees, according to my manual. It's ok up to around 90 degrees!

Old 10-25-2011, 07:39 AM

Awesome, thanks everybody. Also, I don't plan on starting the bike during the off-season or winter months. Does that change things?

Old 10-25-2011, 01:04 PM

If I were you, I would start my bike from time to time during winter storage, if only to start it and bring it to operating temps.. This will keep everything freshly oiled, and fuel circulating through the system. Don't forget to invest in a Battery Tender. Amsoil is the best and can be bought online as cheap or cheaper than at a retailer, delivered to your door.....Tom

Old 10-25-2011, 08:22 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They say just starting and letting it idle for a few minutes is not a good idea. It doesn't get hot enough for long enough to burn off the condensation that forms when starting cold.

Ever notice the drip-drip-drip condensation coming off a car exhaust that was just started on a cold morning? That's the stuff that gets in the oil if it is not brought up to operating temp and ridden for at least 15-20 minutes to burn it off.

Last edited by RoadiJeff; 10-30-2011 at 06:36 AM. Reason: Spelling