General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Now what? Stuck exhaust bolt in engine.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 11:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Now what? Stuck exhaust bolt in engine.

This makes me very sad

1. Stuck WD-40 in it. Tried cutting a small slit and using a flathead screwdriver. Went so far as to epoxy a bit into it, let it dry overnight, then try turning it to no avail.

2. Cut off about 3mm of screw with a dremel. Attempted to use a Kobalt (Lowes) Easy-out kit. Titanium drill bit doesn't go in. Now I have a dull drill bit.

3. Tried getting more WD-40 in it. Gravity is my enemy. Cut two sides, then went at it with locking pliers. Pulled so hard that the screw twisted and broke off leaving me with an ugly end.

4. Cut another slot down to the base. Running out of screw to break. Tried using a flathead screwdriver with a 18V B&D impact driver. Added more WD-40. The impact driver sucks, it needs to be returned, and it didn't budge.

5. Now what? What's my least-work option? Preferably something easier than pulling the engine, fliping it over, soaking it in some kind of oil, then dragging the entire thing to a machine shop.

Advice greatly appreciated, thank you. I'll mail you my wife's homemade cookies if you "win".

--Ed

Old 05-30-2008, 02:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Now what? Stuck exhaust bolt in engine.

To butchered for "Ezy outs", Me thinks that you will need an application of heat (like a blast from a blow torch) no enough to melt it but expand the metal (alumnium/alloy), no matter wot you do, you not going to be able to get enough force on that bugger without snapping it. Believe me, if your going to get a stuck bolt any where, its the exhausts bolts & I've been where you are now. I just gave up & handed it over to the shop & learn to live with "Stupid Pr!ck" looks from the guys in the garage.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:52 AM

blow torch. seriously. You need to gt one of those "bernz-o-matic" blow torches from home depot and get it HOT! Then try again with the flat head or grab it with some vice grips. I had a few of these on my f2 when I was going through the resurrection process. Worked great every time. Also, WD40 is kinda weak and runny. Try and source some PB Blaster. That **** works on rusted on solid chysler product pitmen arms.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:00 AM

I agree, PB blaster is a miracle worker!!! Worth its weight in gold in the right situation. Go buy yourself a can, and soak the **** out of that bolt then come back tomorrow and heat it and try your best. You probably won't be able to get enough leverage with a flat head screwdriver. Your best bet woud pry be either vice grips that are super tight or buy a very small pipe wrench (monkey wrench) and use a pipe or something for a cheater bar. That is, if there's enough bolt left for that. GOOD LUCK!!!!

Old 06-05-2008, 02:12 PM
Banned

+1 Pb blaster. We used Kroil on the aluminum solid rocket booster segment fasteners.

If you can get an ez out it'll work fine, the problem is you may pull/break/spin out some of the threads no matter what you do and then need a heli-coil, but do alot of research before you go any farther.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:20 PM

if pb blaster doesnt work, hit it with a blow torch....well not hit it literally

Old 06-05-2008, 05:29 PM

pb and the torch...

i used to be against the torch, now i'm for it...

Old 06-10-2008, 01:40 PM

+1 TORCH....AND I DO HEAR GREAT THINGS ABOUT pb BLASTER TOO.

Old 06-13-2008, 02:23 PM

Lube and vice grips...if that fails +1 for the propane torch....but clean the lube off good first.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:43 PM

ORIGINAL: invader_zoom
....but clean the lube off good first.
You're no fun.