General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no power!! sounds like a v-twin! top speed 75mph!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 10:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no power!! sounds like a v-twin! top speed 75mph!

i have a 2002 f4i with only 8100 miles.
okay, so i just changed to a new battery. and the bike starts fine now. but now other problems.

1) at low rpm between 1000>5000, the bike dies on me unless i rev it insanely to keep it going.
2) i smell gas and smoke coming out from under the fairings
3) seems like i used up a full tank of gas in 40 miles
4) won't go above 7000rpm, even when i pin the throttle, top speed was only 75mph in 5th gear
5) bike just keeps on stuttering, lot more in low rpms, but no power at high rpm. i feel like i'm running on only with 2 cylinders.
6) engine temp is normal at 175
7) died on me at the stop light, had to call towing service

when i was troubleshooting the battery problem, i disconnected the rectifier, stator, etc... but i'm pretty sure i connected all the cables back. do i have to reset the ecu or something after disconnecting the cables??

I just opened her up completely including removing the tank, air box, etc... everything seems to be in order, no pinched hoses, spark plug has some carbon deposits (normal wear?), air filter clean.
wires all connected (besides, one wire running that plugs into the ECU has no where to connect, is it for diagnosing purposes?).

anyone in the 626, 562, 909 area code in hacienda heightsin southern california can help a fellow cbrer?? come take a look?the bike won't make it to the shop.

THANKS!!!

Old 10-09-2008, 12:31 PM
Default RE: no power!! sounds like a v-twin! top speed 75mph!

Maybe a coil pack or two went out...

Old 10-09-2008, 01:11 PM

Most likely your fuel pressure regulator. There's a 100 posts about it in the F4i section. Maybe 101 posts. Something like that. Anyway, it's a $55 part and a common problem.

Old 10-09-2008, 01:35 PM

sounds like a vtwin and smoke coming under the fairing- maybe u blew out a spark plug

Old 10-09-2008, 02:13 PM

i did a search here on fuel pressure regulator, and it sure sounds like i have that problem. due to the fact that i only got like 60miles for the full tank, and smelled like fuel, and white smoke.

i couldn't find any post on how to replace the fuel pressure regulator. Also i checked an online f4i manual http://www.manualz.info/and i couldn't find "fuel pressure regulator" in the index nor content to show me how to replace it.

please, anybody know how? and diagrams/pics??

thanks

Old 10-09-2008, 07:46 PM

trust me, FPR lol.

http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/.../THROTTLE_BODY

Part Number
16740-MBW-J32[/align]

Old 10-09-2008, 08:09 PM

i think ur right, i read around, and the fact that i burned soo rich, used up a full tank of gas in 60 miles, smell fuel, white smoke, and now i looked into my engine oil window, and looks like there's fuel mixed into there?!!!

i just remove the small hose attached to the "fuel pressure regulator" and some fuel came out of the FPR. is that indicative the a faulty FPR??

wats the theory behind the FPR? unburned fuel gets returned back to the fuel tank through the FPR?

thanks for all the useful info!! everyone very nice on this site!!

Old 10-09-2008, 09:52 PM

np man. these fuel systems are gravity fed, meaning the tank is above the engine and gravity does the work. When the FPR craps out, it can't regulate the amount of fuel going down the rail, and it just dumps it in all at once.

Should be an easy fix. I would change your plugs too while you're in there. They are going to be fouled due to excess carbon buildup.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds to me like a stuck /faulty injector the bike seems to be pumping the fuel yet if you have a bad injector it will "DUMP" fuel or back up and 'leak' or run stupid rich...

pull the injector rail .. and turn the key "ON" if they all spray you are /should be ok .. thats a simple 'spray test' and would tell you if they all flow or go to 'presurize the rail...

Old 10-11-2008, 08:33 PM

i went on sparkplugs.com and crossed referenced ngk IMR9A-9H iridium, and it only came up with denso iridiums. these iridiums are kinda pricey $13/each for someone on a tight budget. can iuse acheaper platinum plug instead? but the cross reference aren't give me any otherplatinum plugs??

btw, wow.. u think its the injector as well?? yikes!!

should i change the oil out too since i just changed it a month ago. will the fuel in the oil just burn off as i ride it??

thanks again..

Quick Reply: no power!! sounds like a v-twin! top speed 75mph!