General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Problem!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 11:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes does sound like a spark problem, would definetly drain the tank if that gas is still original to when it was stored and then replace the plugs, before you put em back in i would check to make sure they are actually sparking so no problems with the wires just touch the tip of the plug to the frame or something metal and grounded just not your body it hurts from experience lol and hit the start button quick should get a good spark make sure to test the plugs with there corrisponding coils so you know that all the wires and all the coils and the plugs are good for all 4 cyclinders, hope it pops for ya. If it all works good and it fires i would find some carb cleaner that you dump in with the gas, couldnt hurt to get some gunk out of the carb im sure there is some in there.

Last edited by stretch_the_apex; 10-07-2010 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:36 PM

The gas is new maybe a few days old. The bike turned on fine the first few weeks but eventually it stopped. I'll go ahead and check the spark plugs maybe even get them replaced any ideas where the best place to look for them is, my bike is a 2000 Honda CBR600F4.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:20 PM

any auto store should carry the plugs that you need if you dont have a bike shop/store nearby, just take one of the old ones with you so you know you got a match, CR9EH9 is the the plug type, i like denso or the ngk iridium spark plugs. might even be able to get em at walmart or fleet farm or anytype of store like that that carrys auto parts, mine did the same thing once after winter when i unstored it ran for a few weeks then nothin spark plugs fixed that problem, they were just gettin weak and after awhile of running again they were still sparkin but not bright by any means and just wasnt enough to light the gas up was just flooding those cyclinders, if you pull the plugs and the reek of gas or have gas on them then i would dry start the bike with the plugs out and the gas off the move that extra fuel sittin in there out before puttin in the new plugs.

Last edited by stretch_the_apex; 10-07-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:22 PM

Can you go into more detail on how I would actually test the spark plugs to see if they are operable?

Old 10-07-2010, 04:21 PM

ok first make sure the gas is turned to off then, there will be a clip that plugs into the coils which are the long black tubes that lead down and connect to the spark plugs, pull all these clips off and pull off all the black tubes, and unscrew and pull out all the spark plugs (spark plug socket) keep track of all the coils to there corrisponding cyclinder hole you pulled it from (not necessary but good for organization sake to keep it all the same) and make sure you remember what clip goes to what hole(this is important), ok then one at a time plug the clip into its corrisponding coil and push the spark plug firmly into the coil turn on the bike make sure kill switch is on so the engine will crank, touch the tip of the spark plug to the frame somewhere you can reach with it and see good (make sure no flameables around it) and hit the start button while holding the spark plug tip onto the metal frame, it should give a good bright spark and you'll here the electricity snap/pop on the metal if the spark plug is bad it will either spark weakly almost a spark like rippin open a bandade in the dark (if you know what im talkin about) or not spark at all, if you dont hold it to the frame it should still spark but not as much so you can see if it even sparks before you hold it to the frame, and like i said in a previous post if you pull the plugs and they are wet on the tips and stink of gas then dont even bother testing it with the old plug cause it is clearly not working.

tip.. obviously when messing with electrical stuff make sure your not touchin the metal yourself and wear gloves, the shock from spark plug effing hurts lol i know lol

Last edited by stretch_the_apex; 10-07-2010 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:36 PM

Motor locked up? I hope not.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:43 PM

stretch u were right they are covered in oil..please tell me what to do before i insert new plugs

Old 10-08-2010, 10:49 PM

Just ran a test on one of them, it sparked a little bit like the kind of spark you get off a static blanket, it made no sound and was barley visible. I'll be getting some new spark plugs tomorrow and I hope all should go well. . Thanks for everyone's help and effort greatly appreciated.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oil or gas? And what part exactly? The threads? Or the electrode itself

Last edited by Kuroshio; 10-08-2010 at 10:54 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:57 PM

It was thick black so probably oil. It was on the electrode and the thread...any precautions I should take before installing the new spark plugs? ie. cleaning?

Quick Reply: New Problem!