General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New kid on the block with questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 09:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New kid on the block with questions

New to the forum, not to motorcycling. Been riding for 30+ years. As my screen name would indicate I am very fond of old V4 Honda muscle, having numerous V65's both Sabres and Magnas. Also many V45's of each variety. I love the big V65 Magna and always seem to migrate back to it.

Although 46 (today) I tend to ride more "spiritedly" than about 95% of folks my age. I love the look of young guys when I get a chance to stop and talk after I've either stayed right on their butts while they ride crotch rockets, or if they are less experienced sometimes I'm able to get by. Nothing beats the look on their faces when they see a "cruiser" that just hung with or past them. It's one of the things I love about the old Magna.

But this aint a Magna forum and I have some questions for those in the room that know much more about the CBR 600 than I do. I've ridden crotch rockets. (CBR's, R1, R6, Busa, etc) In a straight line, most still aren't that much faster than my 25 year old bike. In the twisties, where I like to ride, the old Magna simple can't hang with somebody that knows how to ride a sport bike. I consider myself a good rider. Never ride outside my limitations, don't make STUPID passes, always keep my bikes in tip top shape mechanically, cosmetically. I'm debating whether or not to trade my 1986 V65 Magna http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g8...tter/My%20V65/
For this bike: http://greenville.craigslist.org/mcy/2205371982.html
My questions:
1. Handling characteristics -- describe them, vs. a V65 if possible
2. How punishing is the riding position? I often put 200-300 miles in a day of riding. I'm in the mountains of SC, NC, GA often. That's my stomping ground.
3. Any character flaws with this bike, ie: cam wear, dead spots in the RPM range? How long will tires last with "spirited" riding, what tires have worked best for you guys? I care more about grip than treadwear, but I don't wanna replace them every 2K either.
4. Tips, tricks, things I should look for when checking the bike out? It's a carburated motor. I've never ridden a bike with a slipper clutch, so it'll take some getting used to because I use engine braking a lot with the Magna.
Thanks in advance for any advice, suggestions you could give. If the trade works out I hope to be here as a regular and more of a contributor than a leach.......lol

Magnapotter - chris

Old 02-10-2011, 09:17 PM

Welcome aboard from a dude that has been on bikes since 1975. I have ridden many kinds and still enjoy the fun associated with them. I too have ridden NC, GA and some parts of SC mountains. Where are you from?

Old 02-10-2011, 09:25 PM

is this in greenville, nc? If so i am in washington right down the road and if you can meet the guy tomorrow afternoon i can come take a look at it with you.
1. Good handling if the bike is in good condition, its going to be tighter than your V65 in a good way
2. The riding position is not too bad, im 6'2 and its a lean forward but not enough to hur your back. I have taken the F4i on many road trips and back pain is never on the list of things that hurt
3. Like i said if there has been a good PO, then the bike should be sound. I have had great luck with the Michilin 2CT's, a lot better than my Pirellis
4. The slipper clutch should be pretty easy to learn on. Just check over EVERYTHING, clutch feel, brakes, fluids, tires, scratches from being dropped?

Old 02-10-2011, 09:27 PM

I'm in the very north western corner of SC. 1.5 hours to Asheville NC, Two hours from the Dragon. Two hours from Helen GA. Thanks for the welcome. I'm sure the board is full of good folks and I'll soon feel right at home...and have to start doing chores and mowng the grass.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:13 PM

well that bike is much better on riding position than the newer rockets. You are still putting some weight forward (it is a sportbike afterall) but you can do 300 mile days. Perhaps not at first, but with a little saddle time it is doable. It sounds like you have the heart for it - you will be fine.

As far as turning be wary in parking lots at first, after you feel the differences it is no problem. At speed turning will be a world of difference, but with the same concepts applying as with the crusier. For tires i will probably hit 8000 miles on my shinko ravens. (on the f3 that is, it is a $100 tire, good performance for value in my opinion) I enjoy the pilot powers more.

I would be wary of that fact that i think its a full motor swap?? If the bike is a 94 as stated it would not have an F4 motor in it. I think that means full new wiring harness also, but dont quote my on that. lots can be rigged on the bike i would imagine, o it could be done right no issues. It looks very clean. The first thing that might go would be your cam chain tensioner. $50, 2 wrenches, a socket, an allen wrench, and 20 minutes later problem solved. its not a big deal.

as far as you keeping up with the sporty boys....haha i would love to see it man :P

good luck!!

Old 02-10-2011, 10:58 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Magna man, eh? The V65 is a beast. The most underrated power cruiser imo. The 45 is no slouch, either, for a 750.

Here's mine.

On the questions:

1. No comparison with regards to handling. The CBR will feel totally different. It's quicker, handles better, way more clearance, the angles and riding position are totally different, and it's much less 'sloppy' (for lack of a better word. lol)
2. I think you'll be ok, but it's all a matter of personal preference. Your weight will definitely be more forward, so it takes a while to condition yourself to keep your weight off your wrists/hands. You want to use more of your back and legs. It's a much more 'active' ride and position.
3. All hondas have pretty tough engines unless they're abused, but as far as cam wear and dead spots... not unless there's abuse or carb issues. Cam chain tensioners are a pretty common issue, but the failure rate is still dam low. On tires, I would look at pilot powers if you want to go a bit more sticky but I've had no issues cranking on Pilot Road 2's and Bridgestone BT-021. The PR2 and BT021 are considered sport touring tires but they're dual compound in the rear. Stickier on the edges and harder in the middle. They hang on just fine and last a good bit longer.
4. You won't have any issues adjusting to the clutch. Everything else is pretty much standard when checking out any bike.
Honestly, I would be leery of the one you posted. Could be a fine bike, but you may be happier spending a bit more on a fuel injected F4i that hasn't been molested.

Edit: Oh yeah, welcome to the site.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:25 AM

I feel fishy about the bike posted. I started riding motorcycles about 13 years ago on dirt bikes. Soon as I turned 18 I bought myself a 1980 CB750F. Not a cruiser, but a much more upright position that a lot of street bikes. I got used to the old CB750F over the next 7 years, but even then I went to clip-on's to get into a more active position with the bike. I know what you are talking about with riding skill on older bike being able to keep up with kids on new sportbikes with less skill. I can make that old bike dance. Did a 900 engine swap, race carbs etc. In a straight line as old and heavy as it was it would jog away from my CBR600 F2. But, the CBR is so nimble in the corners compared to the old bike. As for comfortable.. I have a nice tank bag that makes a good pillow for those 500 mile days. I still take my CBR on long trips. I only have a motorcycle for transportation and ride it day or night, rain or sleet. I ahve been really impressed with the reliability of the CBR. Honda wins again. They really do build bullet proof engines as long as you maintain them some. And my CBR was not even taken care of before I picked it up. The seating is farther forward. But, I'm young. My back never seems to bother me. It's usually my legs on some newer bikes. The worst I ever had was some serious cramps on a Buell. Once you get used to the balance you can whip around parking lots going from steering lock to lock. But it takes a little while to get used to. I found that handling an old super sport like I did, all these small sport bikes are easy. haha

Old 02-11-2011, 10:20 AM

First, thank you to all who've responded with helpful input and thoughts. No doubt you all have made me feel welcome and I certainly have appreciated that. I went and looked at the bike today. He wanted to (I would have too if I was him) make the trade but I didn't pull the trigger. My philosophy has been, if somebody doesn't take care of the little things, how can they be trusted to take care of the bigger things. Bike ok just "ok", didn't thrill me. Paint looks MUCH better in the pictures than it does in person. Fish eyes all over it, looks like he put the paint on with a roller - absolutely terrible, not to mention the large chips missing on the right front near the windshield. Where the engine side fairing attaches near the right foot peg the plastic was cracked, nearly in two pieces making that anchor point of no value. The front brake lever was broken yet he claimed the bike had never been down..yeah right. Funny how the mirror was broken off on the same side. PO didn't keep the bike clean. I'm probably more of a fanatic about that than anything else. At least present your bike in the best possible light, especially if you're trying to sell / trade it. Wheels don't look like they'd ever been polished, forks looked like fence posts, where the chain disappears into the engine, OMG at least it looks like he'd kepts the chain well lubed. lol There was no key for the bike, only a toggle switch - cobbed up wiring harness issue? The black paint around the goose neck at the handlebars was all scuffed up and missing down to the metal in several places. Seat had a big rip. I did ride it, ran well, shifted very smoothly through all the gears and I think it wouldn't have been to bad on my wrists / back etc. Everytime I'd mention something like the key, broken brake lever, broken mirror etc... his answer was always the same. Oh it wont take much to fix that, to which I replied, well that being the case, how come you haven't fixed it? I told him if he fixed all the things I pointed out, repainted it so it looked like he didn't have it done by Ray Charles, spend some money, time and elbow grease cleaning it up then give me a call back and I might reconsider. Until then I'll keep looking for somebody that might appreciate a nice 86 V65 Magna. My dream would be to find somebody with a 1100xxBlackbird in similar condition to my bike that wants mine as much as I'd love a Bird. Kilgore......nice 3rd gen. Thanks again guys!

Chris - aka - magnapotter or / 1LiterHogBeater