General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to the bike world and looking for some good stuff.Any and all help please

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 11:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the bike world and looking for some good stuff.Any and all help please

My fiance and I just bought an 02 CBR F4I. We want to get some accessories and stuff but have some questions?
1. We live in a apartment. Weve got covered parking and I went and bought a 10ft Kyrptonite cable, heavy duty padlock. What else should i do for anti theft(its really bad in my area)? Alarm, tracking systems?
2. Wheres a good place to buy accessories? Good varitey and good pricing.
3. Were eventually gonne get another bike. Anyone use the chatterbox stuff. Does it work well or is it worth getting?
4. I want to get a slip on (carbon fiber look) but dont want something annoyingly loud. Any sugg?
5. Do frame sliders work well? What will they save if the bike goes down?
Thanks for any help.

Old 12-30-2004, 12:27 PM
Default RE: New to the bike world and looking for some good stuff.Any and all help please

Hi there,
Glad to have you on the forums. Ok to answer some of your questions.

1) The best anti theft you can do for the bike is get full coverage insurance. If a theif wants your bike, they are going to take it regardless. Alarms on bikes are almost useless. Plus they can cause problems with the bikes electrical systems. You have the lock, thats a start. Get a good bike cover. That way it kind of hides what bike it is and helps keep it out of sight. The biggest thing I can tell you though is get good full coverage insurance. About 75% of all bike thefts happen from apartments.

2) www.kneedraggers.com , www.tricktape.com , www.cyclegear.com

3) Check out the gear forums at the bottom of the main page. I think sirlimpzalot and a few others have some posts going on about chatterboxes. I've personally never used one.

4) With a honda, you can't go wrong with a Yoshimura exhaust. It's like peanut butter is to jelly. Yoshimuras and Honda's just go together. There are several other ones out there as well. D & D seems to be the loudest out of them all.

5) Frame sliders work well, but can cause problems as well. They work great to help protect against damage from tip overs in the parking lot or low speed drops. If you get them, DO NOT get the metal or carbon fiber frame sliders. I have seen people with those types of sliders have their bike slide for almost a 1/4 on the sliders. If you get them, get the urithane That way when the bike goes down, the slider will grind down and slow the bike down. I have also seen people go down and their metal or carbon frame slider dig into the ground causing the bike to flip end over end.

Hope that helps you some.

Old 12-31-2004, 03:53 AM
Default RE: New to the bike world and looking for some good stuff.Any and all help please

Yes there is post about Chatterboxes I have in the lower portion of this site, I love the thing!!

Old 01-18-2005, 02:45 AM

Sliders are bad huh!

and I thought I was risking it ridign withotu em lol

Old 01-18-2005, 03:57 PM

They can be good or bad. They are good if you drop your bike in the parking lot or at low speeds. They can be bad at higher speeds. The metal and carbon ones are just plain bad. Stay away from them. If you do decide to use them, go with the urethane ones.

Old 01-18-2005, 10:32 PM

ORIGINAL: NeonspeedRT

They can be good or bad. They are good if you drop your bike in the parking lot or at low speeds. They can be bad at higher speeds. The metal and carbon ones are just plain bad. Stay away from them. If you do decide to use them, go with the urethane ones.

but the urethane ones are so UGLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYY(in my opinon) but isee where you are coming from about perfomrace by the two. i have the carbon ones but they were also there when i bought the bike and they look good[sm=bling.gif]